Old 29-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Iris Cohen

Default Red and white cedar

Then there is Chamaecyparis thyoides, which inhabits swampy areas of the
Northeast & has the common name Atlantic white cedar. These three species, as
well as some true cedars, are all grown for bonsai, & growers get terribly
confused, because the care of each is a little different.
You have the same problem or worse with "cypress."
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 29-06-2003, 05:09 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
You have the same problem or worse with "cypress."

+ + +
Surely "cedar" is three times (or better) worse.
PvR

[How is that for English usage!]

Old 30-06-2003, 10:34 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Surely "cedar" is three times (or better) worse.

From: Iris Cohen
Nah. You have true cypress, false cypress, summer cypress, bald cypress,

pond cypress, Montezuma cypress, Leland cypress, and who knows what?
Iris,

+ + +
Bad enough, but nothing like cedar. A list that short can be made for cedar
by just naming families that have at least one "cedar".

A considerable part of the cypresses belong to Cupressus, while practically
none of the cedars belong to Cedrus.
PvR

Old 30-06-2003, 05:11 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

writes:
A considerable part of the cypresses belong to Cupressus, while practically
none of the cedars belong to Cedrus.

From:
:
Italian cypress is Cupressus sempervirens. Hinoki cypress & Sawara cypress
are Chamaecyparis. Leland cypress is xCupressocyparis lelandii. Bald
cypress, pond cypress, and Montezuma cypress are Taxodium. Summer cypress is
Kochia scoparia.
At least my cedar of Lebanon is Cedrus libani.
Have fun,
Iris

+ + +
This is no contest. Cedrus has (1-) 4 species, which is a number that is
tiny compared to the number of "cedars" at large.

So there are some "cypresses" that belong to Taxodium, but since the genus
counts no more than two species (probably only one) this will not make a big
impression. Bassia scoparia (syn Kochia scoparia) may also count, making at
best three species (likely only two).

Picking up the Audubon (Western Trees) that I have not filed away yet I see
Arizona cypress, Baker cypress, Gowen cypress, Tecate cypress, MacNab
cypress, Monterey cypress, Sargent cypress all belonging to Cupressus. So
even without looking further than the West of the US there is a considerable
part of cypresses (7 out of 9-10) that belongs to Cupressus.

Of course there are also a few "cypresses" that belong to Chamaecyparis (a
name that means "dwarf cypress") but how to count them is quite debatable,
especially since it has not been that long since those wanting to include
Chamaecyparis in Cupressus were shall we say 'finally discouraged from
saying so out loud'. As to the Leland cypress this can now be argued three
different ways.

No contest, no way.
PvR