Old 10-02-2003, 09:33 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default question about apple cedar rust

10 Feb 2003 08:37:39 -0800 Kevin Eanes wrote:

Archimedes,

I did some internet research on the topic, and the answer is yes, if
all cedar trees in a one-mile or two-mile radius of the apple trees
are removed, the fungus' life cycle will be interrupted and it will go
away in about two years.

The fungus is gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae. It has a two-year
life cycle. The fungus passes part of its life on the cedar and part
of its life on the apple. By removing the cedars, the life cycle will
be interrupted and the fungus will eventually go away.

Yes, I think I will remove all the cedars.

Other recommended steps include use of disease-resistant apples, and
use of fungicide. I am under the impression that you would prefer not
to use fungicide. If you have the option to plant a different type of
apple tree, Golden Delicious and Delicious are more resistant, and
ornamental crabapples and Jonathans are more susceptible. A nursery
could provide more information about specific resistant strains.

Best Regards,
-Kevin

I am running an experiment Kevin of a pet-theory of mine. I believe
the maximum best conditions of an apple-fruit orchard is to plant
the trees 20 feet apart but to have some pine or spruce tree every other
one. The evergreen makes the soil of the best proper PH for the nearby
fruit trees. I have a case example of this now wherein my best pear tree
is smack up against a blue spruce.

I believe the finest fruit orchard would be one in which evergreens (not
cedar of course) are alongside fruittrees. The evergreens maintain the
proper soil PH.

Evidence: I noticed that oak tree volunteers grow best in a evergreen
forest than in any other type of forest.

Shame about the cedar because that is the best growing evergreen
for this part of the country and the only one I have seen that volunteers.
I have never seen a pine or spruce volunteer here.

Archimedes Plutonium,
of the electron-dot-cloud are galaxies

Old 26-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Kevin Eanes

Archimedes Plutonium wrote in message ...
I wonder if the apple cedar rust fungus is permanent to a apple tree if
it catches
it once. Or whether, if all cedar trees for a distance are removed, then
will the
apple trees formerly infected become uninfected with time. I understand
the
fungus has a two year cycle. To repeat my question, if an apple tree has

cedar rust, is it permanent or can it be eliminated by elimination of
cedar trees.