Old 16-02-2003, 12:18 PM
Martin Hodson

Default Silicon in Ferns and allies

I am doing some research on silicon concentrations in plants, and
would be grateful if anyone out there knew of useful references, data
etc. So far I have only found data from Japan- surely there must be
more!
Best Wishes,
Martin

Dr Martin J. Hodson,
Principal Lecturer in Environmental Biology,
School of Biological and Molecular Sciences,
Oxford Brookes University,
Gipsy Lane, Headington,
Oxford, OX3 0BP, UK

Tel.: ++44 (0)1865 483954
Fax: ++44 (0)1865 483242
Email:
Web:
http://www.hodsons.org/MartinHodson/
Old 16-02-2003, 02:10 PM
Iris Cohen

Check out the Dyna-Gro company in California. I assume they have a Web site.
They put out a product called Pro-TeKt, which is potassium silicate. It
purports to increase the silicon content of those plants which can use it,
making them more disease & wind resistant. I'm sure they have done a lot of
research on the natural silicon content of various plants and would be happy to
help you.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 16-02-2003, 10:55 PM
David Hershey

Emanuel Epstein of the University of California at Davis has been one
the recent reviewers of silicon in plant nutrition. He has promoted
the idea that silicon should be considered an essential element even
though it may not fit the traditional definition of an essential
element.

Epstein, E. 1999. Silicon. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant
Molecular Biology 50:641-664.

Silicon nutrition of Equisteum has probably been studied more than
that of other ferns allies because silicon has definitely been shown
to be essential for Equisetum.

Hoffman, F. M., and Hillson, C. J. 1979. Effects of silicon on the
life cycle of Equisetum hyemale L. Botanical Gazette 140(2):127-132.

The Role of Silicon in Plant Susceptibility to Disease
http://www.fiu.edu/%7Echusb001/Giant...nt_Health.html

Silicon: The Estranged Medium Element
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/BODY_EP075.html

If you can get access to the online version of Science Citation Index,
you can probably track find most of the available literature.

David R. Hershey

Old 17-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Martin Hodson

Dear David,
Thanks for this. I will follow up on some of the ideas, although some
I have already tried, and they did not work! I know Epstein and his
reviews, but he only cites the Japanese work I mentioned. You are
correct about Equisetum (no shortage of Japanese data on that!), but
other ferns are much more tricky. I have tried SCI on line, and had
success with other plant groups, but not ferns. I am beginning to
suspect that not much has been done on this group, but you never know,
some one out there might have an obscure thesis or paper in Russian
etc.!!!
Best Wishes,
Martin

Old 12-11-2003, 10:32 PM
Registered User

Location: Costa Rica

I am a commercial fern grower in Costa Rica and am interested in any information about the benefits or risks of applying silicon to my ferneries. I grow Leatherleaf Fern (rumohra Adiantiformis). If there is anyone who would be interested in doing research on my farms in sunny Costa Rica, I will entertain offers.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Registered User

Location: Costa Rica

I am a commercial fern grower in Costa Rica and am interested in any information about the benefits or risks of applying silicon to my ferneries. I grow Leatherleaf Fern (rumohra Adiantiformis). If there is anyone who would be interested in doing research on my farms in sunny Costa Rica, I will entertain offers.

Spencer Manners

www.tropicfern.com
Old 13-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Martin Hodson

Dear Spencer,
As I said in my message above there is not a lot known about Si in
ferns. I searched high and low recently, but found only a few relevant
articles, mostly just giving Si content. There is almost nothing known
on the effects of Si on the growth of ferns and allies, with the major
exception being Equisetum.
There are unlikely to be major risks in applying Si (provided you
apply in a sensible manner), as it is impossible to make a solution
that is concentrated enough to cause damage. There may be some
benefits, particularly with control of fungal diseases. I have worked
on Si in plants since 1980, and more details of my research can be
found on my web site below. Do feel free to contact me for further
advice.

--
goodfern