Old 03-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Iris Cohen

Default Semecarpus

It proves all the time that people manage to "do" a Google search and find
nothing (see Semecarpus in other thread)

He had the species name spelled slightly wrong, as did numerous other people. I
was able to deduce the correct spelling, and found some information for him
under a botanical dermatology database. Sometimes I do this for people out of
curiosity. I was very curious about the walking palm tree, which is apparently
a bubbe meisse (old wives' tale).
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 03-08-2003, 08:22 AM
P van Rijckevorsel

Iris Cohen schreef
He had the species name spelled slightly wrong, as did numerous other

people.

+ + +
Semecarpus venenosus seems to be correct. It was originally published as
Semecarpus venenosa but at some point people got tired at guessing at the
gender of genera and it was decided that all generic names on -carpus (and
the like) were masculine, while all generic names on -carpa (and the like)
were feminine and those on -carpum (and the like) were neuter. Try looking
up names in Podocarpus in sources of varying ages and watch the gender!
+ + +

was able to deduce the correct spelling, and found some information for

him under a botanical dermatology database.

+ + +
I like the initiative to bring such databases on line. Just a pity they are
so much out of data, especially when it comes to plant names
+ + +

Sometimes I do this for people out of curiosity.

+ + +
Most kind of you ;-)
+ + +

I was very curious about the walking palm tree, which is apparently
a bubbe meisse (old wives' tale).
Iris,

+ + +
Still not a 100% sure about the walking palms. The internet is quite a
limited resource in many ways.

Semecarpus has quite a reputation for being poisonous, but likely is not the
top contender within the family when it comes to toxicity ?
PvR