Old 27-04-2004, 03:07 PM
cristina

Default tricotyledon?

Have you ever seen a plant with tree cotyledons?

http://www.geocities.com/artyard/piante/trico2.html

it's an heliantus annuus

How can it be?

Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Cereus-validus

Its one of the signs of the coming apocalypse!!

Just kidding.

It happens all the time.

Finding out how it happens would be a good subject for an article!

BTW, Helianthus annuus is an annual (by definition) not a tree.

Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
cristina

Cereus-validus wrote:

Its one of the signs of the coming apocalypse!!

Just kidding.

It happens all the time.

Finding out how it happens would be a good subject for an article!

BTW, Helianthus annuus is an annual (by definition) not a tree.

Sorry, i'm writing from italy and my english is not good, i had to write "three" not tree...

Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Cereus-validus wrote:
BTW, Helianthus annuus is an annual (by definition) not a tree.

cristina schreef
Sorry, I'm writing from Italy and my english is not good, I intended to

write "three" not tree...

+ + +
Don't mind the 'mighty candlestick':
he is mostly an automaton and hardly ever stops to think.
BTW calling Helianthus annuus a tree is less bad than calling a palm a tree.
What is bad is writing it as "helianthus annuus".

Dicotyledons can have up to four cotyledons (maybe more?).
PvR

Old 27-04-2004, 11:11 PM
mel turner

In article ,
wrote...

Have you ever seen a plant with tree cotyledons?

Yes, and ones with four and five or more cotyledons.

http://www.geocities.com/artyard/piante/trico2.html

it's an heliantus annuus

How can it be?

It's a fairly common individual aberration seen in species normally
with two cotyledons [e.g., you will often find several such in a large
tray of newly germinated tomato plants], but there are also a number of
groups of flowering plants known that are characterized by normally
having three, four, or more cotyledons [e.g., some Pittosporum spp.,
Degeneria, Idiospermum, Opiliaceae, some Olacaceae].

Pines aren't angiosperms, of course, but they are familiar examples of
plants with many cotyledons.

A web search for "multiple cotyledons" finds that these also often
occur in experimentally cultured or regenerated embryos, and
characterize specific genetic mutations known in various plants.

cheers

Old 29-04-2004, 08:03 AM
cristina

thanks to all!