Old 10-05-2004, 05:07 AM
Gnarlodious

Default ID this Cedar

A very handsome tree, here's some photos:

http://home.earthlink.net/~w6zno/Cedar/

Lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

-- Gnarlie

Old 10-05-2004, 01:05 PM
Iris Cohen

Lives in Santa Fe, New Mexico.

I would swear that what you have is American arborvitae, or Eastern white
cedar, Thuja occidentalis. However, it is certainly outside its normal range.
Do a Google search on Thuja for more information. I found out this species has
been found as far south as North Carolina, so it could have been planted in
northern New Mexico, if it received enough water as a youngster.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 11-05-2004, 12:09 AM
Scott Ranger

Iris, you could be right, but T. occidentalis when I find it in it's native
range is a much more finely branched and thin looking tree. This one has the
thick and vertical look of incense cedar as well. I think it's much more
likely to be in Santa Fe (in its natural range) than the eastern.
Scott

Old 11-05-2004, 02:14 AM
Gnarlodious

Ranger:
It most certainly is Calocedrus decurrens, I've uploaded some closeups of
the foliage (do conifirs have foliage?). The "fluted wineglass" pattern is a
dead giveaway and the seedpod confirms it.
http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Entities/...drusDecurrens/

I'm writing a page for the pictures which should be up in a few days

Thanks for the help.

-- Gnarlie

Entity Scott Ranger spoke thus: