GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   tree identification help (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/61388-tree-identification-help.html)

swim learning 15-05-2004 08:08 PM

tree identification help

Please identify the two trees/shrubs whose photo webpages are posted
here. The photos were taken mid-May around a library and an apartment
complex in northern New Jersey.

Tree 1, five photos. My guess is chokecherry, however the trunk does
not look like the one saw in the book:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...43.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...f2.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...f2.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...d4.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...&.dnm=dc6d.jpg

Tree 2, four photos. May be serviceberry?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...6d.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...85.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...4a.jpg&.src=ph

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...52.jpg&.src=ph

mel turner 16-05-2004 02:05 AM

tree identification help

In article , [swim learning] wrote...

Please identify the two trees/shrubs whose photo webpages are posted
here. The photos were taken mid-May around a library and an apartment
complex in northern New Jersey.

Tree 1, five photos. My guess is chokecherry, however the trunk does
not look like the one saw in the book:

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...43.jpg&.src=ph

Looks more like Black Cherry, _Prunus serotina_, but chokecherry
_P. virginiana_ is pretty similar in flower.

Compa
http://biology.smsu.edu/Herbarium/Pl...na%20-%201.jpg
http://www.swsbm.com/Images/New2-200...s_serotina.jpg
http://www.ouellette001.com/flore/Gr...Virginiana.htm
http://www.naturenorth.com/summer/fruits/ckchrry.html

[snip]

Tree 2, four photos. May be serviceberry?

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sha...6d.jpg&.src=ph

No, that's one of the shrubby honeysuckle [Lonicera] species.
Not all of them are vines; some are shrubs. At least some of
the shrubs are often considered troublesome weedy exotics, but
they're attractive as cultivated ornamental shrubs.

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...ardening/55848
http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/loni1.htm
http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/2507.htm
http://project.bio.iastate.edu/trees...cera_wild.html

cheers

Scott Ranger 16-05-2004 05:13 PM

tree identification help

I concur with Mel's identifications: #1 is definitely cherry and I agree
that it is black cherry, Prunus serotina; #2 is absolutely one of the
shrubby lonicera's I don't know which one.
Scott

swim learning 18-05-2004 05:11 PM

tree identification help

Thanks Scott and Mel. Along with Black Locust, these two plants seem
to be the most noticable with pleasing white flowers in early to
mid-May in New Jersey along major roads.