Old 18-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Archimedes Plutonium

Default Apple Cedar Rust disease; can the apples be harmful??

I asked this question a long time ago. Received blank no answers. No
data on www as to the question.

The question is whether apples from a diseased cedar rust have any
harmful affects upon humans eating them?

I was wondering also whether it is advisable to cut down and eliminate
apple trees that are badly affected and whether it is good practice for
those remaining apple trees. A practice of finding tree varieties that
are resistant to cedar rust.

I have some old mature apple trees that seem to have zero cedar rust and
I have some new young trees that are loaded with cedar rust. So I wonder
if a practice of simply eliminating all cedar rust trees and keep
planting varieties resistant to rust is the best practice.

I have a bad feeling of walking past a apple tree in the grove that is
loaded with the rust and the looks of it is just ugly.

I cannot change the cedar part of this disease. So I wonder if a
constant replacement of apple trees resistant is the practical answer to
the problem.

Anyone have actual real experience and not the usual fleet of
big-mouthed-know-littles of bio.botany.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.archimedesplutonium.com
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium