Old 24-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Keith Michaels

Default loss of dwarfing effect in cherry

What causes a tree on a dwarfing rootstock to suddenly start
growing into a full size tree? My dwarf Lapin cherry was
well-behaved for 3 years, putting out new shoots of 6" to 8"
per year, but for some reason this year the new growth is
20" and it's only June!
Old 25-06-2004, 02:00 AM
Iris Cohen

What causes a tree on a dwarfing rootstock to suddenly start growing into a
full size tree?

I once had a similar experience with a semi-dwarf apple. You inadvertently
allowed the ground level to rise, by mulching or some other process, or buried
the graft too deep. The full-size scion put out roots and the dwarfing stock
disappeared.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 25-06-2004, 06:19 AM

In article ,
Keith Michaels wrote:
What causes a tree on a dwarfing rootstock to suddenly start
growing into a full size tree? My dwarf Lapin cherry was
well-behaved for 3 years, putting out new shoots of 6" to 8"
per year, but for some reason this year the new growth is
20" and it's only June!

IIRC, Lapin is a genetic dwarf -- it's dwarfed on any rootstock.

Having you been fertilizing it? Excess nitrogen can cause excess
new growth. If the tree is in a lawn, it may be getting too much
nitrogen when you fertilize the lawn. Lawn fertilizers are very
high in nitrogen.