Old 05-07-2004, 08:57 PM
Cuk

Default Pond plants

Can any one give me a list of native British pond plants?

Old 06-07-2004, 03:12 PM
Mike Martin

what for? just curious

Mike

Old 07-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Cuk

My web site www.frogs-watch.co.uk is based on photos that I have taken of
frogs in and around my garden pond. the plants in the pond I have little
knowlage of and don't know if they are native or not. I would like to futher
develope my knowlage and add the information to my site.

Old 07-07-2004, 03:05 PM
Mike Martin

You have a very beautiful collection of pictures!

May I ask what type of camera you use to capture the images? Digital? 35
mm?

Do you use a macro lens?
How do you get so close to the flying insects without disturbing them?
Awesome website.

Mike

Old 08-07-2004, 11:37 PM
Cuk

I use a digital camera, Canon G3

Hears some of my ramblings on how I take the photos.

I have got to know the frog's favourite locations and even if I disturb the
frogs I can wait it out knowing they will return. Breeding time they are
preoccupied and on a hot summers day reluctant to give up a good fly trap
and are a little easier to snap, dare I say it but sometimes I think that
they have got used to me and don't see me as much of a threat as they did
once. I have found that frogs don't like movement above them and so I craw a
long the ground moving slowly. I can get quite close in this way. I like to
use the wide angle lens and the camera set in micro mode. I don't always use
a flash but I also discovered that quite often I can get away with using the
flash without disturbing them or find them and focus using the light from a
touch. For each photo that I have I have many more that I have missed or am
not happy with, I move to quickly or disturb them in some way or they are
just to jumpy on that occasion before I can get a good shot. I guess
patience is something I have. The insects are the hardest to catch the focus
on digital cameras is slow but with all the creatures in the garden it is
surprising what you can get if you try.