Old 10-07-2004, 02:08 AM
Nitrobacter

Default Controlling in vitro bacterial growth without affecting fungus?

Hey everyone. Thanks to everyone who offered advice on how to make thin
sections of thalli. I ended up using my forceps as a crude vise to hold
the thallus in position, and I used a sharp, thin, steel razor blade to
slice it. The added advantage of the forceps was that they acted as a
guide. All of this was done under a dissecting microscope. Anyway, I
made some really nice slides, and although they weren't quite as thin as
I would hope, I had nice clear cross-sections of lichen thalli. I even
observed ascospores, and hopefully I'll be able to use the ascospore
morphology to help identify the lichen. If I had a camera I'd post
pictures for you!

Anyway, I'm currently working on an experimental design and I have this
idea to grow an isolated, but contaminated mycobiont from a lichen -
that is, isolated from the algal photobiont and contaminated with any
bacteria that may be already living within the thallus. The problem here
is that I'm afraid the bacterial population will get out of control. I'm
brainstorming control measures, and my best idea so far is to use an
antibiotic to hinder bacterial population growth. I'm also considering
altering ambient conditions, like temperature, but I do not want to
detrimentally affect the fungus in any way.

Essentially, I want the fungus to grow in the presence of bacteria for a
number of weeks, without ending up with huge bacterial colonies dot the
medium and a little smudge of fungus. If anyone has ideas I will very
much appreciate it!

-Nitrobacter
Old 10-07-2004, 01:23 PM
GS

"Nitrobacter" wrote in message
rs.com...
[...]

Increased osmotic strength and reduced pH (individually or together)
normally favour fungal growth while not completely preventing bacterial
growth.

GS