GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/81435-id.html)

Phillip Sherman 30-07-2004 02:07 AM

ID

I goggled this (grass?) almost to my blindness. It's a common plant in
Fl, but I failed in my efforts. It can be fond in "mysteries" album in
webshots.
TIA
Phill
--
I live in ZONE 9B-10A-SUNSET ZONE 25
The zone splits in my City

P van Rijckevorsel 30-07-2004 08:36 AM

ID

Phillip Sherman schreef
I goggled this (grass?) almost to my blindness. It's a common plant in
Fl, but I failed in my efforts. It can be fond in "mysteries" album in
webshots.

+ + +
I'd say there is a fair chance that, yes, this may be a grass.

For any close ID a picture of the inflorescence is just about a requirement,
sometimes a picture of the inside of the leaf blade meeting the sheath is
helpful.
PvR

Iris Cohen 30-07-2004 02:13 PM

ID

I googled this (grass?) almost to my blindness. It's a common plant in Fl,
but I failed in my efforts.

Are you sure it is a member of the Poaceae? Does it ever bloom or produce
seeds? If it doesn't have hollow jointed stems, it is not a grass. If the stems
are triangular, it may be a sedge. Have you asked your local extension agent or
the U. of Florida Gainesville?
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Richard Wright 30-07-2004 08:53 PM

ID

Try Lemon Grass (Cymbopogon citratus).

http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katz...?Cymb_cit.html

MMMavocado 31-07-2004 03:04 AM

ID

I'd guess johnsongrass, Sorghum halepense. Common throughout Florida, and has
that look when immature.

Phillip Sherman 31-07-2004 03:13 AM

ID

wrote:

I goggled this (grass?) almost to my blindness. It's a common plant in
Fl, but I failed in my efforts. It can be fond in "mysteries" album in
webshots.
TIA
Phill

I think you nailed it.
http://plantsdatabase.com/showimage/1036/

I've up loaded a few more images to my album.

Thanks
Phill

--
I live in ZONE 9B-10A-SUNSET ZONE 25
The zone splits in my City
I LIVE ON THE TREASURE COAST OF FLORIDA
http://community.webshots.com/user/captphill
If you care too. You can see "MY NATURE WALK" below.
http://bogusbrothers.clicksitebuilder.com/

Phillip Sherman 31-07-2004 07:04 PM

ID

MMMavocado wrote:
I'd guess johnsongrass,(NO) Sorghum halepense.(NO) Common throughout Florida, and has
that look when immature.