GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Leaf ribs (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/81525-leaf-ribs.html)

Edoardo Mori 11-08-2004 01:11 PM

Leaf ribs

I have a leaf of sweet chestnut that is how a lace with only the net of
the finest ribs, without green cells. I saw the same with leaves of others
plants.

Who is able to say me how is possible to obtain that leaves?

Thank you very much!

Iris Cohen 11-08-2004 02:29 PM

Leaf ribs

I have a leaf of sweet chestnut that is how a lace with only the net of
the finest ribs, without green cells. I saw the same with leaves of others
plants.

Who is able to say me how is possible to obtain that leaves? BRBR

That is usually caused by insects eating the rest of the leaf.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

Monique Reed 11-08-2004 03:51 PM

Leaf ribs

If you mean, "How can I clear a leaf so that only the veins remain, so
that I can study them or use them for craft projects?", then you may
be looking for the following: (I found this by using Google to look
for "skeletonize a leaf," and this is taken from a posting by G. Uber
an archived 1995 discussion in sci.bio.botany!)

Leaf Skeletons (there appear to be several ways of doing this)

Abstracted [by Uber] from “Approaches to the Identification of
Angiosperm Leaf
Remains”, David L. Dilcher, The Botanical Review, 40(1): 55ff, Jan-Mar
1974.

1. After Stehli and Bruenner (1968):
Put leaves into rain water for some time to rot out softer tissues.
Clean off loose tissue, bleach, wash and dry.

2. Chemical Preparation
Heat in 5-20% NaOH or KOH, just below boiling until they turn brown
and epidermis bubbles up or loosens, usually 5-10 minutes.
Put them into cold water, rub between fingers until loose epidermis
slips from leaf. If this is difficult, repeat heating in NaOH a
short time.

3. Put leaves into dilute 2-5% sodium hypochlorite to bleach.
Wash, dry between blotters.

$. Better Homes & Gardens (Nov 1972):
Into 3 tablespoons lye + 1/4 bar yellow kitchen soap per quart water.
Boil 2 hours in glass container. Rinse.
Pound with rounded end of wooden handle, brush away pulpy material
between veins.
Soak in household bleach (hypochlorite), rinse in cold water, dry.

You may find that some species lend themselves more readily to these
processes than others.

M. Reed

--
˙WPC5

mel turner 11-08-2004 04:05 PM

Leaf ribs

In article ,
[Edoardo Mori] wrote...

I have a leaf of sweet chestnut that is how a lace with only the net of
the finest ribs, without green cells. I saw the same with leaves of others
plants.

Who is able to say me how is possible to obtain that leaves?

Thank you very much!

"Leaf skeletons" are easily prepared from some species of plant,
but not from many others. [The rotting dead leaves under the tree
may give you clues as to good species to try]

_Ficus religiosa_ is one commonly-seen example.

Fungi do the work: lay a dead leaf on the surface of a container of
damp soil or sand, cover, and let it decay until the soft tissue is
easily removed from the leaf. The skeleton is very soft when still
wet and must be handled very gently, but it can be cleaned under water
or lightly rinsed with water from a plant sprayer, and can be whitened
in a bath of dilute bleach after cleaning. After drying it [perhaps
spread on a plastic bag or on waxed paper] the leaf skeleton can be
mounted on dark paper in a frame under glass. The leaf stalk may
separate from the blade; it and any other damaged parts may need to
be repaired with a little glue.

The finished mounted leaf skeletons can be quite attractive, and
no doubt might make nice gifts.

cheers