Old 11-08-2004, 01:11 PM
Edoardo Mori

Default Leaf ribs

I have a leaf of sweet chestnut that is how a lace with only the net of
the finest ribs, without green cells. I saw the same with leaves of others
plants.

Who is able to say me how is possible to obtain that leaves?

Thank you very much!

Old 11-08-2004, 02:29 PM
Iris Cohen

I have a leaf of sweet chestnut that is how a lace with only the net of
the finest ribs, without green cells. I saw the same with leaves of others
plants.

Who is able to say me how is possible to obtain that leaves? BRBR

That is usually caused by insects eating the rest of the leaf.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 11-08-2004, 03:51 PM
Monique Reed

If you mean, "How can I clear a leaf so that only the veins remain, so
that I can study them or use them for craft projects?", then you may
be looking for the following: (I found this by using Google to look
for "skeletonize a leaf," and this is taken from a posting by G. Uber
an archived 1995 discussion in sci.bio.botany!)

Leaf Skeletons (there appear to be several ways of doing this)

Abstracted [by Uber] from “Approaches to the Identification of
Angiosperm Leaf
Remains”, David L. Dilcher, The Botanical Review, 40(1): 55ff, Jan-Mar
1974.

1. After Stehli and Bruenner (1968):
Put leaves into rain water for some time to rot out softer tissues.
Clean off loose tissue, bleach, wash and dry.

2. Chemical Preparation
Heat in 5-20% NaOH or KOH, just below boiling until they turn brown
and epidermis bubbles up or loosens, usually 5-10 minutes.
Put them into cold water, rub between fingers until loose epidermis
slips from leaf. If this is difficult, repeat heating in NaOH a
short time.

3. Put leaves into dilute 2-5% sodium hypochlorite to bleach.
Wash, dry between blotters.

$. Better Homes & Gardens (Nov 1972):
Into 3 tablespoons lye + 1/4 bar yellow kitchen soap per quart water.
Boil 2 hours in glass container. Rinse.
Pound with rounded end of wooden handle, brush away pulpy material
between veins.
Soak in household bleach (hypochlorite), rinse in cold water, dry.

You may find that some species lend themselves more readily to these
processes than others.

M. Reed

--
˙WPC5