GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What's this plant? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/plant-science/81622-whats-plant.html)

FlatTop 13-08-2004 04:43 AM

What's this plant?

Curious as to what is this plant that has grown up in my garden of weeds.

And why did it wilt 24 hours after I touched it only gently to photograph
it?

http://www.junkshop.com/plant.jpg

Cereus-validus 13-08-2004 06:33 AM

What's this plant?

Abutilon theophrastii

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/...velvetleaf.htm

Why did it wilt 24 hours after I touched it only gently to photograph?
Coincidence? Bad Karma?

FlatTop 13-08-2004 06:58 AM

What's this plant?

thank you!

Cereus-validus 13-08-2004 08:19 PM

What's this plant?

Regardless of the spelling, you were not the one to identify the plant,
Rinkytink. You don't get extra credit for second guessing.

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Actually this plant is well represented on the internet,
but under its proper name:
Abutilon theophrasti gives over 6000 hits in Google
versus less than 200 hits for the erroneous Abutilon theophrastii
PvR

FlatTop 13-08-2004 10:12 PM

What's this plant?

yuk yuk :)

well, i appreciate P van Rijckevorsel's contribution. as groucho said, he
should get a little bonus -- and if he brings 'round his dog, we'll give the
dog a bonus, too.

David Hershey 14-08-2004 02:06 AM

What's this plant?

"FlatTop" wrote in message ...
Curious as to what is this plant that has grown up in my garden of weeds.

And why did it wilt 24 hours after I touched it only gently to photograph
it?

http://www.junkshop.com/plant.jpg

Velvetleaf is listed as susceptible to Phytophthora blight, which
could have caused the sudden wilt.

http://www.apsnet.org/online/feature/cucurbit/

FlatTop 14-08-2004 11:56 AM

What's this plant?