Old 13-08-2004, 04:43 AM
FlatTop

Default What's this plant?

Curious as to what is this plant that has grown up in my garden of weeds.

And why did it wilt 24 hours after I touched it only gently to photograph
it?

http://www.junkshop.com/plant.jpg
Old 13-08-2004, 06:33 AM
Cereus-validus

Abutilon theophrastii

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/...velvetleaf.htm

Why did it wilt 24 hours after I touched it only gently to photograph?
Coincidence? Bad Karma?

Old 13-08-2004, 06:58 AM
FlatTop

thank you!
Old 13-08-2004, 08:19 PM
Cereus-validus

Regardless of the spelling, you were not the one to identify the plant,
Rinkytink. You don't get extra credit for second guessing.

"P van Rijckevorsel" wrote in message
Actually this plant is well represented on the internet,
but under its proper name:
Abutilon theophrasti gives over 6000 hits in Google
versus less than 200 hits for the erroneous Abutilon theophrastii
PvR

Old 13-08-2004, 10:12 PM
FlatTop

yuk yuk

well, i appreciate P van Rijckevorsel's contribution. as groucho said, he
should get a little bonus -- and if he brings 'round his dog, we'll give the
dog a bonus, too.

Old 14-08-2004, 02:06 AM
David Hershey

"FlatTop" wrote in message ...
Curious as to what is this plant that has grown up in my garden of weeds.

And why did it wilt 24 hours after I touched it only gently to photograph
it?

http://www.junkshop.com/plant.jpg

Velvetleaf is listed as susceptible to Phytophthora blight, which
could have caused the sudden wilt.

http://www.apsnet.org/online/feature/cucurbit/
Old 14-08-2004, 11:56 AM
FlatTop