Old 23-11-2004, 06:09 AM
Jan

Default Floras

Is there anywhere a list of good, national or regional floras? I suffer
from a rare condition that makes me enjoy reading floras like Flora
Europaea and Flora Reipublicae Popularis Sinicae ;-)
Old 23-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In article , Jan
writes
Is there anywhere a list of good, national or regional floras? I suffer
from a rare condition that makes me enjoy reading floras like Flora
Europaea and Flora Reipublicae Popularis Sinicae ;-)

I once saw a book listing standard regional floras. (But, I don't recall
the title or author.)

URL:http://www.euromed.org.uk leads to a page listing various works
for European and North African countries.

Also, I have lists of assorted online floras, etc

http://www.malvaceae.info/Directory/web.html
http://www.malvaceae.info/Directory/books.html

I don't have a complete list of the floras on Gallica
(URL:http://gallica.bnf.fr); in particular they've got quite a few
regional French floras.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 23-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Roger Whitehead

In article , Jan wrote:
Is there anywhere a list of good, national or regional floras?

Have a look here - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/a.n.gagg/babel/babel.html

Roger

Old 23-11-2004, 09:40 PM
P van Rijckevorsel

Jan writes
Is there anywhere a list of good, national or regional floras? I suffer
from a rare condition that makes me enjoy reading floras like Flora
Europaea and Flora Reipublicae Popularis Sinicae ;-)

Stewart Robert Hinsley schreef
I once saw a book listing standard regional floras. (But, I don't recall
the title or author.)

***
Well, the famous and award winning book is this
http://www.cplpress.com/contents/C1024.htm

I can't say I ever used it, so I can't speak from personal experience (looks
like they have the price wrong?)
PvR

A Review by Rudolf Schmid:

Frodin, David G. 2001.
Guide to standard floras of the world: An annotated, geographically
arranged systematic bibliography of the principal floras, enumerations,
checklists, and chorological atlases of different areas. 2nd ed. 14 June
2001 (date fide Frodin). Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. xxiv + 1100
p. ISBN 0-521-79077-8 [hardback], Price: US$240.00. [Ed. 1 1984, xx + 619
p.]

A mighty oak has grown from David Frodin's first sapling, Guide to the
standard floras of the world (arranged geographically), which was released
in August 1964 as a mere 64-page typescript. I proudly keep this next to the
639-page first edition, Guide to standard floras of the world (1984), and
now the just published 1124-page edition of the same title--a fine display
of evolution in action. Indeed, some in 1964 might have regarded that
sapling sappy in view of its competition, Sidney Fay Blake & Alice Cary
Atwood's Geographical guide to the floras of the world, part 1 (1942, [[i]],
336 p.), and Blake's part 2 (1961, [[i]], 742 p.), both of which,
incidentally, cost me $10.42 in April 1975. However, Frodin's Guide has
become a major contribution to botanical bibliography.

This work contains some marvelous mini-essays that can be read in their own
right and impressive historical reviews. Coverage is for floras from 1840
through 1999, with some works published in 2000 listed in the five-page
addendum.

My only criticisms involve the indices. The massive author index (108 pages)
might better have been replaced by a title index because many floras
published as continuing series change their authorship or editorship over
the decades. In addition, the more useful geographic index (20 pages) would
have been better placed after the author index, not before it. The old
master was always right on the mark. Frans A. Stafleu's comments (Taxon 34:
558, 1985) about the first edition are still very much apropos: "The detail
and the precision of this work are impressive; the author is to be
congratulated for this major achievement."