Old 13-02-2005, 07:59 PM
Andrew Skinner

Default Ulex europaeus

Gorse. Widespread in Europe.

Flowers 12 - 04 mainly. Different plants at different times. One in our
garden just coming out.

Anyone know about this?

Andrew Skinner

(sorry about two similar postings)

Old 13-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Richard Wright

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:59:20 -0000, "Andrew Skinner"
wrote:

Gorse. Widespread in Europe.

Flowers 12 - 04 mainly. Different plants at different times. One in our
garden just coming out.

Anyone know about this?

Andrew Skinner

(sorry about two similar postings)

For what's it worth, there's an old saying: "'When Gorse is out of
bloom, Kissing's out of season."
Old 14-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Andrew Skinner" writes:
| Gorse. Widespread in Europe.
|
| Flowers 12 - 04 mainly. Different plants at different times. One in our
| garden just coming out.
|
| Anyone know about this?

Don't forget U. gallii and U. minor, and the fact that it grows
in both sheltered and warm places and windswept and cold ones.
There are many causes of the variation in flowering times which,
as the saying indicates, is unusually large.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 14-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Andrew Skinner

gallii and minor are summer flowerers (and I can tell the difference), and
this is europaeus, like almost all the gorse in the UK.

The kissing saying is because europaeus has a huge flowering season, with
the two dwarf specis filling in the summer fallow time.

I'm still intrigued as to the determinants.

Andrew (Co. Durham, UK)