Old 03-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Joe Friday

Default Please answer question on filters and algae

Hello....

We have a kidney shaped pond, below ground, approx. 900-1200 gallons. There
is a 5 foot high rock waterfall (still in design and construction) on one
side/end, and a smaller fountain on the other end. We HAD 11 fish in it
until my dad thought we could refill after cleaning and not worry about the
chlorine til "the next day". Now we're fishless for the moment.

Problem is this......we have major algae problems, and know NOTHING about
filtration systems. In the smallish town where we live, there is not really
a good resource for information. Dr's. Foster and Smith provides some info,
but my Dad cannot glean what he wants to know from what he reads. We need
to filter this pond better than it is now. There are several good plants in
it.....lilies, pickerel, pond grass, and a few others. They all filter
fairly well, but not enough.

What we need to know is this......how do biofilters work? What would be the
best system to install to keep the liner as clean as possible. Testing the
water shows that the levels are fine, ph, chlorine, etc. It's the surfaces
that attract the algae.

Thanks in advance for any help and expertise. You can reply to the group
and/or the e mail. Please remove the "spamkiller" portion of my e mail
before sending e mail.

Again, many thanks....
Butch

Old 03-06-2003, 04:32 PM