GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Heron deterrent (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/22357-heron-deterrent.html)

TrueBlue 14-05-2003 12:56 AM

Heron deterrent

Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

Priscilla McCullough 14-05-2003 11:56 PM

Heron deterrent

The only sure way is to net your pond.
They have come out with some pretty good netting now that lets you enjoy
your pond while keeping your fish safe.
Priss
http://priss31.tripod.com/SmallPond.html

"TrueBlue" wrote in message
.net...
Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

Jerrispond 16-05-2003 01:08 AM

Heron deterrent

Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

A 22 with hollow points!!! Jerri

\(... 03-06-2003 04:20 PM

Heron deterrent

The only prob i have found wiv the plastic herons, is some male
herons will think that its a female heron. Then it attracts them as
they think they might be in luck wiv some ladies & gentlemen thingy
but the birdie type...

K.W.I.M.

"Tex" wrote in message
I've found that deploying a lifelike fake heron seems to keep the live

ones
at bay. We 'installed' this one about tw0 years ago and, touch wood,

haven't
lost a fish since.

"TrueBlue" wrote in message
.net...
Can anyone suggest a good way to keep herons from eating my koi?

IceEros 03-07-2003 12:54 AM

Herons are teritorial birds or so they say.
For me an artificial stork that I move around the pond about once every 2 weeks does the trick.

Cookie 03-07-2003 11:56 AM

Heron deterrent

Glad that works you ..Cookie

petesm 04-07-2003 05:05 PM

Tried fake herons / fake foxes but no luck.
Tried nets over pond but heron will still stab fish to death even tho it can't get them out of the pond.
Currently trying a low wire 'fence' (about 30cm high) all way round edge of pond and it seems to be working.
Incidentally, I have noticed that crows don't seem to like herons and will mob them, so I'm trying to encourage crows into the garden with the odd bit of meat or chick carcass on top of the garage.
Who knows?

Jerrispond 04-07-2003 05:44 PM

Heron deterrent

..22 hollow point will get rid of them Jerri

petesm 23-09-2003 10:11 AM

Heron deterrent

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerrispond
..22 hollow point will get rid of them Jerri

Much too law abiding for that sort of thing, or elecrified trip wires or plastic goldfish with razor blade dorsal fins or.....oops, giving away the secrets now!

rushy 20-06-2004 10:30 AM

Heron deterrent

Quote:

Originally posted by Jerrispond
..22 hollow point will get rid of them Jerri

wat is 22 hollow????????

dkat 20-06-2004 07:02 PM

Heron deterrent

rifle bullet I believe - gets you thrown in jail in some parts of the
country, won't stop the problem (another heron will take its place) and
strikes me as very unponder like... but then I have a pond because I like
the wildlife it supports and I don't buy $10,000 Koi (which is something I
can no more understand than buying a $100,000 car)... May be why I'm in
more trouble than not at ponds.rec - that and my political views....

"rushy" wrote in message
s.com...

http://tinyurl.com/lowy * wat is 22 hollow????????