GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (alternative) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/)
-   -   Goldfish Babies (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-alternative/34428-goldfish-babies.html)

Snowwhite 27-06-2003 12:50 PM

Goldfish Babies

I have a koi pond containing about 16 koi and also have 9 goldfish. Thre are also 7 "babies". I am assuming that they are goldfish babies because they have no barbels. They are about 11 months old, 1-1/5" long and black. I know a bit about koi but my knowledge of goldfish is zilch!

Are these babies likely to turn gold and if so at what sort of age/size?

Any ideas anyone?

Barbara Harrison 27-06-2003 04:32 PM

Goldfish Babies

Hi
I had some fry in the two years ago. Some of them changed colour within a
few weeks, shubunkins first, then goldfish. But two goldfish were still
brown this year. I put them inside in a tropical tank that didnt have many
in and looked empty, and within a few weeks of going in, they had both
turned gold. I don't know whether it was the warm water that helped them
change, or just coincidence.

Barbara

s.com...

--
Snowwhite

Jerrispond 28-06-2003 03:44 PM

Goldfish Babies

I had some fry in the two years ago. Some of them changed colour within a
few weeks, shubunkins first, then goldfish. But two goldfish were still
brown this year

I have a 4 year old shubunkin that is still black....He has a very few gold
scales.....sort of like a ginrin koi. I have had goldfish not turn for 2
years. I also have a few in the pond this year that are already turned at
less that 1/2 inch. It just seems to depend on the individual fish in a mixed
pond Jerri

K 29-06-2003 06:44 AM

Goldfish Babies

Warm water always does the trick - in really warm climates where goldfish
are bred commercially for the pet industry fry as young as three months old
have changed colour,

Cookie 02-07-2003 11:32 AM

Goldfish Babies

I have been ponding for 8 years now and have Koi and goldfish. I have not
had any Koi babies but many Goldfish babies. Many of them are black and then
turn gold at different times. I have a beautiful black fantail that is
about7 inches long now and just starting to turn gold.....Cookie