Old 27-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Registered User

Location: Horley, Surrey
Default Goldfish Babies

I have a koi pond containing about 16 koi and also have 9 goldfish. Thre are also 7 "babies". I am assuming that they are goldfish babies because they have no barbels. They are about 11 months old, 1-1/5" long and black. I know a bit about koi but my knowledge of goldfish is zilch!

Are these babies likely to turn gold and if so at what sort of age/size?

Any ideas anyone?
Old 27-06-2003, 04:32 PM
Barbara Harrison

Hi
I had some fry in the two years ago. Some of them changed colour within a
few weeks, shubunkins first, then goldfish. But two goldfish were still
brown this year. I put them inside in a tropical tank that didnt have many
in and looked empty, and within a few weeks of going in, they had both
turned gold. I don't know whether it was the warm water that helped them
change, or just coincidence.

Barbara

s.com...

--
Snowwhite

Old 28-06-2003, 03:44 PM
Jerrispond

I had some fry in the two years ago. Some of them changed colour within a
few weeks, shubunkins first, then goldfish. But two goldfish were still
brown this year

I have a 4 year old shubunkin that is still black....He has a very few gold
scales.....sort of like a ginrin koi. I have had goldfish not turn for 2
years. I also have a few in the pond this year that are already turned at
less that 1/2 inch. It just seems to depend on the individual fish in a mixed
pond Jerri

Old 29-06-2003, 06:44 AM

Warm water always does the trick - in really warm climates where goldfish
are bred commercially for the pet industry fry as young as three months old
have changed colour,

Old 02-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Cookie

I have been ponding for 8 years now and have Koi and goldfish. I have not
had any Koi babies but many Goldfish babies. Many of them are black and then
turn gold at different times. I have a beautiful black fantail that is
about7 inches long now and just starting to turn gold.....Cookie

Mutant babies (goldfish)??? Gary Ponds 13 20-10-2004 03:24 PM
Mutant babies (goldfish)??? Gary Ponds 0 18-10-2004 01:05 AM
Free goldfish babies--Marietta, GA Crashj Ponds 6 17-09-2004 04:08 AM
Free goldfish babies--Marietta, GA kc Ponds 0 14-09-2004 02:47 PM
Babies! - "Dendrobium Babies.jpg" 102.9 KBytes BetsyB Orchids 14 23-03-2004 09:44 PM