Old 23-02-2004, 03:36 PM
John Miller

Default Ultraviolet (UV) Filter / Sterilizer

I want to install a UV sterilizer in my pond, but would prefer to construct it myself, partly because I'm a retreaded engineer, and partly because I'm sure I can do it for considerably less than the cost of retail units. Does anyone know of a web site or newsgroup that covers construction details, experiences, war stories, etc. on the topic?

As a side note, does anyone moderate this discussion group? It sure contains a lot of spam...

- John
Old 23-02-2004, 07:54 PM
Morten

Hi John

"John Miller" wrote in message

I want to install a UV sterilizer in my pond, but would prefer to

construct it myself, partly because I'm a retreaded engineer, and partly
because I'm sure I can do it for considerably less than the cost of retail
units. Does anyone know of a web site or newsgroup that covers construction
details, experiences, war stories, etc. on the topic?

It shouldn't be to difficult I guess, the hardest would probably be to get
some UV transparent tube you could insert the UV light into, does anybody
know if clear PVC or clear Acrylic are 'clear' regarding UV, I think clear
Acrylic are but don't know with PVC.

You could make a system using a 1.5" inner clear tube and a 3" outer non UV
transparent outer tube, ie. black tube and some 3" to 1.5" slip fit reducers
and some 1" hose fittings clued into a couple of hoes in the outer type at
each end if you understand what I'm saying...

But please make sure that no UV light escapes the systems because it will
cause severe dammage to your eyes and skin (think severe sunburn / blindness
here...)

Glue the whole lot together, test for water tightnes and happy UV'ing

/Morten

---

Old 26-02-2004, 01:42 PM
George

"Morten" wrote in message
.. .
Hi John

"John Miller" wrote in message

I want to install a UV sterilizer in my pond, but would prefer to

construct it myself, partly because I'm a retreaded engineer, and partly
because I'm sure I can do it for considerably less than the cost of retail
units. Does anyone know of a web site or newsgroup that covers

construction
details, experiences, war stories, etc. on the topic?

It shouldn't be to difficult I guess, the hardest would probably be to get
some UV transparent tube you could insert the UV light into, does anybody
know if clear PVC or clear Acrylic are 'clear' regarding UV, I think clear
Acrylic are but don't know with PVC.

My unstanding is that most plastic tubes filter out UV light, which is
probably one of the reasons why these filters are so expensive. Plus you
have to prevent the light/electrical wiring/circuitry from getting wet -
basically for the life of the filter. But my question is why do you think
you need one? If your filtration system is working properly, your pond is
not overstocked and you aren't overfeeding them, you shouldn't need one.
But if you insist on getting one, check out these sites:

http://pondforum.com/NewFiles/FUNDAM...ion%20III.html

http://www.pondbuilder.com/clarifier.htm