GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Foam on the water - goldfish spawning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/157693-foam-water-goldfish-spawning.html)

Phyllis and Jim 29-04-2007 04:20 AM

Foam on the water - goldfish spawning

A couple of days ago, I went out to feed the fish. One berm pond has
four butterfly goldfish (all fins long) that I am trying to breed.
Two are shbunkins and two comets. Who knows what the offspring will
look like. I figure the odds favor having a pair with four there.

Well, when I put the food in, no one came. Unusual. Then I saw three
flash by in the 18" water. I recognized the formation: rear fish
nudging the front one. Breeding. Sure enough, foam began to show
where the water from that pond goes into the U-shaped falls. We are
surely having babies. Now, we will see if they survive the grown-ups
and the mosquito fish. Last year a few did.

The koi have not yet begun the chase routine. Last year they did it
just before we went on vacation.

Jim

George[_6_] 29-04-2007 11:28 AM

Foam on the water - goldfish spawning

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
A couple of days ago, I went out to feed the fish. One berm pond has
four butterfly goldfish (all fins long) that I am trying to breed.
Two are shbunkins and two comets. Who knows what the offspring will
look like. I figure the odds favor having a pair with four there.

Well, when I put the food in, no one came. Unusual. Then I saw three
flash by in the 18" water. I recognized the formation: rear fish
nudging the front one. Breeding. Sure enough, foam began to show
where the water from that pond goes into the U-shaped falls. We are
surely having babies. Now, we will see if they survive the grown-ups
and the mosquito fish. Last year a few did.

The koi have not yet begun the chase routine. Last year they did it
just before we went on vacation.

Jim

I noticed a few of my comets nudging and chasing one another yesterday. No
foam yet, at least I didn't see any. Might be some tomorrow.

George

Phyllis and Jim 02-05-2007 06:12 AM

Foam on the water - goldfish spawning

We noticed a lot more foam today. Not enough for koi breeding, but
surely another round of goldfish action. Jim is hoping it is the long-
finned ones he has oin the berm pond rather than the ones in the main
pond.

Does anyone know if koi tend to spawn later than goldfish?

Phyllis