GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Fish ailment? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/157733-fish-ailment.html)

RG 29-04-2007 11:52 PM

Fish ailment?

We've got a 400 gallon pond with some goldfish and koi in it; it's
been going for about 3 years.

This afternoon we noticed some of our goldfish had a number of small
white bumps on their gills, as if they had white sand sprinkled
there.

Is this a disease I should do something about, or is it a new fish
fashion?

--RG, San Francisco

Reel McKoi[_11_] 30-04-2007 03:38 AM

Fish ailment?

"RG" wrote in message
oups.com...
We've got a 400 gallon pond with some goldfish and koi in it; it's
been going for about 3 years.

This afternoon we noticed some of our goldfish had a number of small
white bumps on their gills, as if they had white sand sprinkled
there.

Is this a disease I should do something about, or is it a new fish
fashion?

==============================
Male goldfish get these during the breeding season. I never noticed them on
my koi. It's not a disease.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

~ jan[_3_] 30-04-2007 09:09 AM

Fish ailment?

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:52:29 CST, RG wrote:

We've got a 400 gallon pond with some goldfish and koi in it; it's
been going for about 3 years.

This afternoon we noticed some of our goldfish had a number of small
white bumps on their gills, as if they had white sand sprinkled
there.

Is this a disease I should do something about, or is it a new fish
fashion?

--RG, San Francisco

If the bumps are only on the gill plates and front ray of the pectoral
fins, the goldfish are boys. :-) If the bumps are elsewhere, you could
have a case of ich. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

RG 30-04-2007 09:10 AM

Fish ailment?

Whew, I'm relieved. Thanks for your reply.
Do you know what's the purpose of the bumps?
Does it mean they've already mated?

George[_6_] 30-04-2007 02:43 PM

Fish ailment?

"RG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whew, I'm relieved. Thanks for your reply.
Do you know what's the purpose of the bumps?
Does it mean they've already mated?

Yes, you are the proud owner of horny male goldfish.

George

Reel McKoi[_11_] 01-05-2007 12:24 AM

Fish ailment?

"RG" wrote in message
oups.com...
Whew, I'm relieved. Thanks for your reply.
Do you know what's the purpose of the bumps?
Does it mean they've already mated?

===========================
I read the bumps are used by the male to stimulate the female to breed. It
doesn't mean they mated, just that they are mature and ready to mate.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

[email protected] 01-05-2007 06:32 AM

Fish ailment?

it means they are male. they are breeding stars and it means they
can. Ingrid

Phyllis and Jim 01-05-2007 01:31 PM

Fish ailment?

The specifics of the breeding-bump location certainly would go with
the bump-and-shove breeding process.

Jim