GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Night visitor (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/160273-night-visitor.html)

Bonnie 17-06-2007 06:47 PM

Night visitor

Hi All,
We've been having night visitors to the ponds. Nothing has happened
(no fish missing - nor plants moved) except for the trickle tower
being knocked into the pond. Then this morning we noticed something
shiny way out in the field behind our house - dh went looking and
found one of the shiny metal balls from the pond. Apparently some
animal (we think a raccoon) decided to take the ball and play. It's
amazing the distance it was taken.
Come to think of it, we had set up the scare crow to keep the mini-
pond safe. It's plants were been dislodged early this spring. So
maybe the visitations have been going on for sometime now.
Bonnie
NJ

k 17-06-2007 07:16 PM

Night visitor

Ooooo ~ shiny things!
We had two raccoons come by this
winter and get treed by the intrepid
labradors. Gave them bragging rights
for the whole winter.

k :-)

Phyllis and Jim 17-06-2007 09:12 PM

Night visitor

Coons are something else!

When we were in Africa, they spoke of the baboons that same
way...altho the baboons were really dangerous as well.
Jim

Thistletoes 14-07-2007 07:09 PM

Night visitor

On Jun 17, 1:12 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Coons are something else!

When we were in Africa, they spoke of the baboons that same
way...altho the baboons were really dangerous as well.
Jim

Raccoons are amazing creatures, with their little hands and
inquisitive eyes. When I lived in Santa Barbara, I visited a convent
up in the hills for a retreat day. At sunset, the nuns took us
outside to show us their huge (20'diameter) fish pond. It was set in
carved stone out on a stone patio overlooking the sea. Charming
setting, but there were only lily pads in the pond. The pond was
covered, rather lopsidedly with chicken wire. The problem was the
"Brother Dog", the convent pet, had failed in his position as
protector and the raccoons had fished the pond one night. Nary a fish
remained, only the crooked peaks and valleys of the bent chicken wire
that the coons had lifted and folded back to get to their prey.

Deb

k 14-07-2007 10:39 PM

Night visitor

Those are some determined raccoons!
I can imagine Brother Dog in disgrace.
Our labradors are often in disgrace around
here. We say that the youngest carries around
the burden of original sin she is so guilty at
times.

k :-)