Old 17-06-2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Night visitor

Hi All,
We've been having night visitors to the ponds. Nothing has happened
(no fish missing - nor plants moved) except for the trickle tower
being knocked into the pond. Then this morning we noticed something
shiny way out in the field behind our house - dh went looking and
found one of the shiny metal balls from the pond. Apparently some
animal (we think a raccoon) decided to take the ball and play. It's
amazing the distance it was taken.
Come to think of it, we had set up the scare crow to keep the mini-
pond safe. It's plants were been dislodged early this spring. So
maybe the visitations have been going on for sometime now.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 17-06-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Ooooo ~ shiny things!
We had two raccoons come by this
winter and get treed by the intrepid
labradors. Gave them bragging rights
for the whole winter.

k :-)

Old 17-06-2007, 09:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Coons are something else!

When we were in Africa, they spoke of the baboons that same
way...altho the baboons were really dangerous as well.
Jim

Old 14-07-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jun 17, 1:12 pm, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
Coons are something else!

When we were in Africa, they spoke of the baboons that same
way...altho the baboons were really dangerous as well.
Jim

Raccoons are amazing creatures, with their little hands and
inquisitive eyes. When I lived in Santa Barbara, I visited a convent
up in the hills for a retreat day. At sunset, the nuns took us
outside to show us their huge (20'diameter) fish pond. It was set in
carved stone out on a stone patio overlooking the sea. Charming
setting, but there were only lily pads in the pond. The pond was
covered, rather lopsidedly with chicken wire. The problem was the
"Brother Dog", the convent pet, had failed in his position as
protector and the raccoons had fished the pond one night. Nary a fish
remained, only the crooked peaks and valleys of the bent chicken wire
that the coons had lifted and folded back to get to their prey.

Deb

Old 14-07-2007, 10:39 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

Those are some determined raccoons!
I can imagine Brother Dog in disgrace.
Our labradors are often in disgrace around
here. We say that the youngest carries around
the burden of original sin she is so guilty at
times.

k :-)

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

1st time visitor would love a list of some specialty rose shops and poss info more Gail Futoran Roses 3 22-07-2004 07:07 PM
1st time visitor would love a list of some specialty rose shops and lookin4you2xist Roses 0 16-07-2004 05:02 AM
visitor to pond David H Ponds 2 11-06-2004 06:04 PM
OT urg visitor? Sacha United Kingdom 23 30-05-2004 09:07 PM
Pond visitor :-) Bonnie Espenshade Ponds 3 16-06-2003 08:00 PM