Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15-07-2007, 12:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Conflicting pond features?

I have addressed this august forum a few times over the past year, but
this time I'm getting serious, really!

I am converting my pool into a pond. I want to retain as much of the
pool and it's plumbing as possible, mainly because it is exactly where I
want the pond, I am cheap, and it seems a waste of time, effort and
money to tear up a fully functioning water-tight hole in the ground, to
dig and plumb another.

It is a large'ish hole- a kidney shaped, circa 1985 shotcrete/Marcite
w/3' of Kooldeck surround, 16'x35'x3'8.5' deep(~18,500 gal). For
several reasons I want to retain much of the shape and size of the
current pool.

I know that pool plumbing is not the same as pond plumbing, but here's
the situation. In addition, to the normal 2" bottom drain and 2"
skimmer, I have 14 (yes, fourteen) 2" cleaning outlets that sweep the
bottom of the pool with jets of water. These could be converted to flow
in the opposite direction in a snap, so I could have 15 2" bottom drains
or even a combination of drains and returns. I also have 2-1.5" returns
near the top on opposite sides of the pool.

However, I have major conflicting concerns.
1) I read one pond book and it says bottom drains are the greatest
things since sliced bread. I read the next pond book and it says that
one should NEVER have a bottom drain, they are useless. This also goes
for skimmers.

2) I read another book and it says NEVER use a submersible pump, I read
the next and it says that submersible pumps are the cat's meow. They
both claim their choice is the most energy and pond efficient.

3)I read another book that says NEVER put gravel on the bottom, then the
next one says use lots of gravel.

??????????

A leading pond contractor here made me a design that followed exactly
half of these books. He required filling in the pool, digging it back
out, lining it w/EDPM, putting a 4500GPH submersible pump to a 36sq ft
bog, then return over a 4' wide waterfall. He also wants to put 1-3"
gravel all over the bottom. That's it! This is just wrong by the other
1/2 books and BTW his bid is very expensive.

Here is my thinking at the moment- I will become the general contractor
and sub out the physical work and plumbing following my own best guesses
based on my reading and recommendations from groups like this.

If I raise the pool floor by re-pouring concrete, also raising all the
bottom plumbing connections to adjust, to about a 35' depth (with
ledges for plants), spray a fish safe liner or paint (or is the aged
plaster good as it is?), use the existing skimmer but make it fish
proof, make all the cleaning bottom connections drain to the existing
1HP external pump, then to a bog, then return down a waterfall. This,
in addition to the 2 existing returns SHOULD???? give me a low
maintenance pond w/great circulation.

Is this crazy? Am I missing something fundamentally? It scares me that
I could be making a huge mistake. BUT I do want a pond as the
centerpiece of my new backyard.

1st priority is making a pretty natural looking pond and waterfall that
has a few fish in it, NOT the fish themselves. 2nd Priority is
low-maintenance.

I also would like the grandkids to be able to swim with the fish like an
old-fashioned "swimmin' hole". Anybody have this or know about this
feature?

All suggestions, criticisms, and derisive chuckles welcome.

Chip

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

conflicting plant info Steve Gardening 9 08-06-2005 12:50 AM
Plume poppy, was Help with conflicting bugbane instructions!! Ann Gardening 2 29-04-2003 07:08 PM
Help with conflicting bugbane instructions!! spampot Gardening 3 28-04-2003 11:08 PM
conflicting/confusing Alternanthera descriptions Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:23 AM
conflicting/confusing Alternanthera descriptions Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 4 25-02-2003 07:49 AM