GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Squirrels & nets (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/162925-squirrels-nets.html)

~ jan[_3_] 10-08-2007 10:13 PM

Squirrels & nets

I've recently put netting from deck to fence to catch the leaves of my
girdled maple. What a PITA.

The other day two squirrels decided to go at it on who was passing on the
deck rail and who would have to jump down to the deck. King of the Rail
pursued and had me worried one would fall on the net.

Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net? Unfortunately, as leaves have
collected the nets not as taut as they first looked w/o leaves. So I
envision a possible disaster if a squirrels lands on them. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

San Diego Joe 10-08-2007 11:07 PM

Squirrels & nets

"~ jan" wrote:

I've recently put netting from deck to fence to catch the leaves of my
girdled maple. What a PITA.

The other day two squirrels decided to go at it on who was passing on the
deck rail and who would have to jump down to the deck. King of the Rail
pursued and had me worried one would fall on the net.

Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net? Unfortunately, as leaves have
collected the nets not as taut as they first looked w/o leaves. So I
envision a possible disaster if a squirrels lands on them. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan,

Never had a squirrel in one, but I have extracted gopher snakes on three
separate occasions.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

~ jan[_3_] 11-08-2007 12:00 AM

Squirrels & nets

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:07:37 CST, San Diego Joe wrote:

Never had a squirrel in one, but I have extracted gopher snakes on three
separate occasions.

San Diego Joe

I bet that was a mess. (Imaging how a snake could get really tangled up.)
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Phyllis and Jim 11-08-2007 12:00 AM

Squirrels & nets

That is a new one on me! Let us know if you have to do a rescue. I
am more concerned for the net than the squirrel. Their teeth are
really effective...especially if they are trapped.

Jim

San Diego Joe 11-08-2007 03:04 AM

Squirrels & nets

"~ jan" wrote:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:07:37 CST, San Diego Joe wrote:

Never had a squirrel in one, but I have extracted gopher snakes on three
separate occasions.

San Diego Joe

I bet that was a mess. (Imaging how a snake could get really tangled up.)
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Yeah, it sure was. It could only go forward, it's scales prevented it from
reversing. It was literally "ballooning" through each square of netting.

There is a much longer story to one of the snakes, and I wish I had gone and
gotten my camera. My wife would probably have killed me though, if I had
left her holding the snake for that long.

~ jan[_3_] 11-08-2007 04:18 AM

Squirrels & nets

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:00:26 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

That is a new one on me! Let us know if you have to do a rescue. I
am more concerned for the net than the squirrel. Their teeth are
really effective...especially if they are trapped.

Jim

That's what I'm afraid of, a net full of leaves and one annoyed squirrel
chewing thru to dump them all in the pond. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

MLF 11-08-2007 05:29 PM

Squirrels & nets

"San Diego Joe" wrote
Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net?

I can tell you, the easiest way to extricate them is VERY carefully.
Squirrels in trouble are not prone to rational behavior, and will kick,
bite, scratch and generally go nuts. They often release certain
unmentionable bodily fluids as well. A large pair of thick gloves is
definitely recommended.

On the other hand, if you were in their place, you'd probably do the same
thing.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

~ jan[_3_] 12-08-2007 12:21 AM

Squirrels & nets

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:29:21 CST, "MLF" wrote:

I can tell you, the easiest way to extricate them is VERY carefully.
Squirrels in trouble are not prone to rational behavior, and will kick,
bite, scratch and generally go nuts. They often release certain
unmentionable bodily fluids as well. A large pair of thick gloves is
definitely recommended.

Well hopefully my squirrels will stay out of the net, but if one gets in, I
think letting it fully tire itself out and then long handled snips. Fix one
problem, find another. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

chatnoir 12-08-2007 08:58 PM

Squirrels & nets

On Aug 10, 3:13 pm, ~ jan wrote:
I've recently put netting from deck to fence to catch the leaves of my
girdled maple. What a PITA.

The other day two squirrels decided to go at it on who was passing on the
deck rail and who would have to jump down to the deck. King of the Rail
pursued and had me worried one would fall on the net.

Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net? Unfortunately, as leaves have
collected the nets not as taut as they first looked w/o leaves. So I
envision a possible disaster if a squirrels lands on them. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

I have had squirrels go over the netting supports and scamper over the
net but I don't think one has ever fallen onto the net! The netting
supports keeps the net taut, so I think the squirrels can get out of
it pretty easily! The raccoons also skitter along the net supports
real easily!

I suppose a broom from the bottom to push the squirrel up or push it
along to an edge would work!

~ jan[_3_] 13-08-2007 05:50 AM

Squirrels & nets

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:58:33 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

I suppose a broom from the bottom to push the squirrel up or push it
along to an edge would work!

Yup, very likely the squirrel would be okay, if it didn't panic. Much like
kids playing on rope nets and climbing up I imagine. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Kurt[_2_] 13-08-2007 05:47 PM

Squirrels & nets

wrote:

I suppose a broom from the bottom to push the squirrel up or push it
along to an edge would work!

Yup, very likely the squirrel would be okay, if it didn't panic. Much like
kids playing on rope nets and climbing up I imagine. ~ jan

I'd let the kids drop in the pond. ;-)

[email protected] 14-08-2007 05:46 PM

Squirrels & nets

pellet gun. watch the angle so you miss the pond and etc. Ingrid
(who is fighting her own battle with the tree rats)

Galen Hekhuis 14-08-2007 06:17 PM

Squirrels & nets

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:46:39 CST, wrote:

pellet gun. watch the angle so you miss the pond and etc. Ingrid
(who is fighting her own battle with the tree rats)

I tend to disagree with the use of a pellet gun. Many folks think
"pellet gun" is much the same as a "BB gun." I don't know of a BB gun
that has sufficient power or accuracy to dispatch a squirrel. A
pellet gun of the .177 caliber is probably not going to have the mass
to kill, and you wind up with an irritated (albeit wounded) squirrel.
Even if you do have sufficient power and a good shot, most .177 pellet
guns do not provide sufficient knock down force to put down the
squirrel right away, and you'll probably wind up with a bloody mess,
at best. In the .22 caliber pellet you have a better chance, although
results are hardly guaranteed. Then there are the legal implications.
In this state, and probably others, there are seasons and restrictions
regarding various squirrels. If you know all this already, you
probably aren't reaching for a pellet gun. If you are going for a
pellet gun, you probably haven't hunted many squirrels.

Kurt[_2_] 14-08-2007 09:05 PM

Squirrels & nets

In article ,
Galen Hekhuis wrote:

[...]

Better to use the pellet gun on the kids ;-)

k 14-08-2007 09:06 PM

Squirrels & nets

And who knows the political climate around Squirrel
Harrassment? The little rodents have gotten organized.
It started with cute commercials on tv to improve their
image (Post-its anybody?) and now I bet they've got
their own lobby in WA DC.
Some time back I read about a fellow who got into all
sorts of trouble for allowing his dog to chase squirrels
in the park. I read the story to the watergardening labradors
and they just rolled their eyes. We hear about it every day
however when the squirrel curses them out for chasing him from
the birdseed. We're sure he must be part of the Great Squirrel
Conspiracy.
We caught him at it the other day
http://tinyurl.com/24zngn

k :-)