Old 10-08-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Squirrels & nets

I've recently put netting from deck to fence to catch the leaves of my
girdled maple. What a PITA.

The other day two squirrels decided to go at it on who was passing on the
deck rail and who would have to jump down to the deck. King of the Rail
pursued and had me worried one would fall on the net.

Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net? Unfortunately, as leaves have
collected the nets not as taut as they first looked w/o leaves. So I
envision a possible disaster if a squirrels lands on them. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 10-08-2007, 11:07 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote:

I've recently put netting from deck to fence to catch the leaves of my
girdled maple. What a PITA.

The other day two squirrels decided to go at it on who was passing on the
deck rail and who would have to jump down to the deck. King of the Rail
pursued and had me worried one would fall on the net.

Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net? Unfortunately, as leaves have
collected the nets not as taut as they first looked w/o leaves. So I
envision a possible disaster if a squirrels lands on them. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Hi Jan,

Never had a squirrel in one, but I have extracted gopher snakes on three
separate occasions.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:07:37 CST, San Diego Joe wrote:

Never had a squirrel in one, but I have extracted gopher snakes on three
separate occasions.

San Diego Joe

I bet that was a mess. (Imaging how a snake could get really tangled up.)
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-08-2007, 12:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

That is a new one on me! Let us know if you have to do a rescue. I
am more concerned for the net than the squirrel. Their teeth are
really effective...especially if they are trapped.

Jim

Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote:

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 16:07:37 CST, San Diego Joe wrote:

Never had a squirrel in one, but I have extracted gopher snakes on three
separate occasions.

San Diego Joe

I bet that was a mess. (Imaging how a snake could get really tangled up.)
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Yeah, it sure was. It could only go forward, it's scales prevented it from
reversing. It was literally "ballooning" through each square of netting.

There is a much longer story to one of the snakes, and I wish I had gone and
gotten my camera. My wife would probably have killed me though, if I had
left her holding the snake for that long.

Old 11-08-2007, 04:18 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 17:00:26 CST, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

That is a new one on me! Let us know if you have to do a rescue. I
am more concerned for the net than the squirrel. Their teeth are
really effective...especially if they are trapped.

Jim

That's what I'm afraid of, a net full of leaves and one annoyed squirrel
chewing thru to dump them all in the pond. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 11-08-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
MLF MLF is offline

"San Diego Joe" wrote
Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net?

I can tell you, the easiest way to extricate them is VERY carefully.
Squirrels in trouble are not prone to rational behavior, and will kick,
bite, scratch and generally go nuts. They often release certain
unmentionable bodily fluids as well. A large pair of thick gloves is
definitely recommended.

On the other hand, if you were in their place, you'd probably do the same
thing.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Old 12-08-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:29:21 CST, "MLF" wrote:

I can tell you, the easiest way to extricate them is VERY carefully.
Squirrels in trouble are not prone to rational behavior, and will kick,
bite, scratch and generally go nuts. They often release certain
unmentionable bodily fluids as well. A large pair of thick gloves is
definitely recommended.

Well hopefully my squirrels will stay out of the net, but if one gets in, I
think letting it fully tire itself out and then long handled snips. Fix one
problem, find another. :-( ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 12-08-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 10, 3:13 pm, ~ jan wrote:
I've recently put netting from deck to fence to catch the leaves of my
girdled maple. What a PITA.

The other day two squirrels decided to go at it on who was passing on the
deck rail and who would have to jump down to the deck. King of the Rail
pursued and had me worried one would fall on the net.

Anyone had to deal with a squirrel in a net? Unfortunately, as leaves have
collected the nets not as taut as they first looked w/o leaves. So I
envision a possible disaster if a squirrels lands on them. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

I have had squirrels go over the netting supports and scamper over the
net but I don't think one has ever fallen onto the net! The netting
supports keeps the net taut, so I think the squirrels can get out of
it pretty easily! The raccoons also skitter along the net supports
real easily!

I suppose a broom from the bottom to push the squirrel up or push it
along to an edge would work!

Old 13-08-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:58:33 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

I suppose a broom from the bottom to push the squirrel up or push it
along to an edge would work!

Yup, very likely the squirrel would be okay, if it didn't panic. Much like
kids playing on rope nets and climbing up I imagine. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 13-08-2007, 05:47 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I suppose a broom from the bottom to push the squirrel up or push it
along to an edge would work!

Yup, very likely the squirrel would be okay, if it didn't panic. Much like
kids playing on rope nets and climbing up I imagine. ~ jan

I'd let the kids drop in the pond. ;-)

Old 14-08-2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

And who knows the political climate around Squirrel
Harrassment? The little rodents have gotten organized.
It started with cute commercials on tv to improve their
image (Post-its anybody?) and now I bet they've got
their own lobby in WA DC.
Some time back I read about a fellow who got into all
sorts of trouble for allowing his dog to chase squirrels
in the park. I read the story to the watergardening labradors
and they just rolled their eyes. We hear about it every day
however when the squirrel curses them out for chasing him from
the birdseed. We're sure he must be part of the Great Squirrel
Conspiracy.
We caught him at it the other day
http://tinyurl.com/24zngn

k :-)

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

What to do with grey squirrels - M Ogilvie pro hunt nut and extremist, adviser for SNH suggests we should eat squirrels! [email protected] United Kingdom 15 19-10-2007 01:34 AM
Nets and leaves Koi-lo Ponds 1 15-11-2005 02:19 AM
Snake deterrent No Nets Needed ~ janj JJsPond.us Ponds 4 22-07-2005 03:24 PM
Pond nets buried under 9" of snow! Robyn Rhudy Ponds 1 12-12-2003 07:34 PM
Color me DISCOURAGED! - herons and nets ~ Windsong ~ Ponds 6 25-06-2003 06:08 AM