Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-08-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Frogs hate our pond

We have a small, formal pond, 700+ gallons. It's block construction and
elevated except on one side it is almost even with a garden bed. Frogs
could easily hop in and out and hide in garden if desired. This is our
third year for the pond. Along the back wall of the pond is a veggie
filter with plenty of frog hiding places and water depth 2-6". The pond
has 10-12 goldfish/shebunkins, four smaller koi and a couple of native
minnows. Also lots of mosquito minnows. No water features but the pond
water cycles 2-3 times an hour so the water is always moving-also a skimmer.
The first year we had green frogs show up in Spring, 2-5 a night, and
they would hang around the edge. I had never seen green frogs in the
area before. They never came back.
Our neighbor's swimming pool is always filled with tree frogs. They
clog the skimmers and are a general nuisance. We relocate them to the
pond all the time. They never stay.
I made a frog house with an old clay pot saucer and hid it next to the
pond in the flowers. Frogs ignore it.
We use no chemicals on the lawn although I'm sure the neighbors do.
So why do frogs hate me?

Mark B.

Rate This Thread: