Old 28-08-2007, 04:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Frogs hate our pond

We have a small, formal pond, 700+ gallons. It's block construction and
elevated except on one side it is almost even with a garden bed. Frogs
could easily hop in and out and hide in garden if desired. This is our
third year for the pond. Along the back wall of the pond is a veggie
filter with plenty of frog hiding places and water depth 2-6". The pond
has 10-12 goldfish/shebunkins, four smaller koi and a couple of native
minnows. Also lots of mosquito minnows. No water features but the pond
water cycles 2-3 times an hour so the water is always moving-also a skimmer.
The first year we had green frogs show up in Spring, 2-5 a night, and
they would hang around the edge. I had never seen green frogs in the
area before. They never came back.
Our neighbor's swimming pool is always filled with tree frogs. They
clog the skimmers and are a general nuisance. We relocate them to the
pond all the time. They never stay.
I made a frog house with an old clay pot saucer and hid it next to the
pond in the flowers. Frogs ignore it.
We use no chemicals on the lawn although I'm sure the neighbors do.
So why do frogs hate me?

Mark B.

Old 28-08-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

A couple reasons ~

Your neighbor's pool has no fish. Tree frogs are small and
are wary of getting into a pond with fish as they might get
eaten. I had two ponds right next to each other. One with
fish and one without fish. They all flocked to the fishless
pond.

Greenfrogs will hang out in a pond during breeding time but
do not always stay around after breeding. Bullfrogs are the
most aquatic of frogs and love to hang out in the water.
The bigger they get the more likely they are to eat fish.
A good population control measure but usually it is your
favorite fish of the current babies who gets eaten!!

Frogs will often come back to the pond where they were
raised to breed. If all the eggs and tadpoles are eaten by
the resident fish then there is nobody to come back to the
pond.

hope that helps,
k :-)
http://tinyurl.com/6bguh ~ new pond keeper info
http://tinyurl.com/yp64db ~ slide show of pond

Old 28-08-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I'm not the resident frog expert, she must be busy, but I think it may
be because it's a formal pond. Do you have plants along side the
edges of the pond and in the pond? Frogs like to have places in the
water and near by to hide. They also need a way to climb out of the
water and plants help. Not all frogs stay in the water all the time
either, they may visit in the Spring to lay their eggs and then
depart. There are times when it sounds like I have at least a
million frogs in my pond - the neighbors have yet to complain.
The houses are usually for toads in the garden.
Bonnie
NJ

Old 28-08-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 28, 12:24 pm, k wrote:
A couple reasons ~

Your neighbor's pool has no fish. Tree frogs are small and
are wary of getting into a pond with fish as they might get
eaten. I had two ponds right next to each other. One with
fish and one without fish. They all flocked to the fishless
pond.

Greenfrogs will hang out in a pond during breeding time but
do not always stay around after breeding. Bullfrogs are the
most aquatic of frogs and love to hang out in the water.
The bigger they get the more likely they are to eat fish.

Well my bullfrog is large; but I am not missing any fish! It likes
earthworms and mice! I mean the great evolutionary leap for frogs was
to be able to breed where the fish were not! Otherwise, I see no gain
in intelligence and maybe a bit of a loss in same! I don't see them
as great fish eaters!

Old 28-08-2007, 11:46 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
k k is offline

chatnoir wrote Well my bullfrog is large; but I am not missing any
fish! It likes earthworms and mice! I mean the great evolutionary
leap for frogs was
to be able to breed where the fish were not! Otherwise, I see no gain
in intelligence and maybe a bit of a loss in same! I don't see them
as great fish eaters!

Always love an excuse to to a googling ~
*Food Habits
(source http://www.desertusa.com/mag00/oct/papr/frog.html)
"Bullfrogs generally sit and wait for a meal to pass or land nearby.
They lung or leap forward with mouths open wide to catch prey. The
bulk of a bullfrog's diet is insects, spiders, crayfish and other
invertebrates, but they may also consume mice, small turtles, fish,
snakes (including rattlesnakes), birds and other amphibians. A
bullfrog will eat about anything it can get in its mouth."

Your mileage per bullfrog... ;-)

k :-)

Old 29-08-2007, 04:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Aug 28, 4:46 pm, k wrote:
[...]

Guess I keep it too well fed then! Although, other smaller frogs
disappear very fast! My small turtle of 2 years is still around! The
guy I have is lucky to hit a dead mouse I put in front of him -
usually takes him 2-3 strikes to get it! A sick fish near the top, I
could see a frog get! I just don't see these guys as being too swift!

Old 29-08-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:53:38 CST, mark Bannister
wrote:

Our neighbor's swimming pool is always filled with tree frogs. They
clog the skimmers and are a general nuisance. We relocate them to the
pond all the time. They never stay.
I made a frog house with an old clay pot saucer and hid it next to the
pond in the flowers. Frogs ignore it.
We use no chemicals on the lawn although I'm sure the neighbors do.
So why do frogs hate me?

I share your feelings. I've brought in bullfrogs several times and
never see one. I do see droppings every year now, but never a
bullfrog. I have green and gray tree frogs in the area, but never see
their tadpoles, or don't know it if I do. I do have loads of toads
every spring, but don't particularly enjoy their mating calls. They
are all right, I sleep through them, but I hear about them from my
wife, if she doesn't fall asleep quickly.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 30-08-2007, 07:00 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Green tree frogs prefer the plants near our pond to the pond itself.

Our, now relocated, bullfrog did catch fish. Some that he could not
quite get in. The tails would stick out of his mouth!

Good luck with yours.

Jim

Old 30-08-2007, 10:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"chatnoir" wrote in message
oups.com...
A sick fish near the top, I
could see a frog get! I just don't see these guys as being too swift!

=======================
Bullfrogs are very fast underwater. I saw one catch and swallow a small koi
in seconds. :-(
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-08-2007, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks all. It must be the fish. All other factors seem ok. I think
I'll add a small light to attract bugs.
My youngest and I got called to the neighbor's pool last night, the frog
"Love Shack" as the call it. They had 15-20 tree frogs already netted.
By the time you walked around one time collecting them there were
already more taking their places. We took the 15-20 home (that was fun
as they were in a small garbage can with no lid) and put them in the
pond. They were instantly singing. Some actually were singing on the
way home. The variety of calls from one species of frog was amazing,
everything from your standard tree frog squawk to monkey like sounds.

I'll add the light tonight, perhaps some will stay.

Mark B.

Old 31-08-2007, 05:46 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
I'll add the light tonight, perhaps some will stay.

I don't know if this is true but someone told me that if the water is too
alkaline or too acid or there is too much current - the frogs wont hang out
or breed in the pond. Perhaps you can find more on this subject by
Googling.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.