GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   fall~is~here! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/164887-fall%7E%7Ehere.html)

[email protected] 17-09-2007 03:45 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

At the dacha we still have an active well, pump, holding tank for
watering the grounds and the pond.
Last month I paid the 3 month bill, 318 for our duplex and 218 for
our house (I have soaker hoses set really low, but they come on for an
hour every morning). We use lake water, there havent been any
restrictions. Ingrid

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:54:52 CST, ~ jan wrote:
I just have to ask.... is water really expensive there?

[email protected] 17-09-2007 03:46 PM

fall~is~here!

the temp dipped to 40 a couple nights ago, it is going to bounce back
into the 70's and 80's for the next week. but it got me to thinking I
had better get my little sitting area around my pond enclosed. Ingrid

Derek Broughton 17-09-2007 04:27 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

~ jan wrote:

I didn't want to hijack the Fall thread so started a new one when....

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 Gareee© wrote:

Nope, Western NC in the mountains at 3,000 feet. Typically the mean
temperatures drop 5 degrees for every 1000 feet altitude gain. We had two
late freezes 2 weeks apart this spring, and then drought for the next 4
months. That's been VERY hard on all the plants here. We lost our japanese
maple, a evergreen tree (one of our christmas trees), and our dogwood. The
stream running through our property is TOTALLY dried up, and the creek
ajoining our property (usually 3-5 feet wide by a foot or so deep) is just
about gone as well.

I just have to ask.... is water really expensive there?

If it isn't, it should be. Some of us just can't justify wasting aquifers
for the sake of ornamental plants.
--
derek

k 17-09-2007 08:58 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

Some of us just can't justify wasting aquifers
for the sake of ornamental plants.

You are talking about in a drought stricken area?
Not general irrigation uses.

k :-)

~ jan[_3_] 18-09-2007 01:15 AM

Irrigation vs rainfall

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:27:59 CST, Derek Broughton
wrote:

If it isn't, it should be. Some of us just can't justify wasting aquifers
for the sake of ornamental plants.

Apparently you haven't priced how much a mature tree costs now days. :-)
Not all off us are sucking our water out of aquifers either. I personally
live were 3 rivers meet. Not sure about the OP, perhaps that is their
reason.

Plus, I'm reducing my carbon foot print by keeping my AC bill lower due to
reducing the temperature around my house, not to mention adding O2 via all
the greenery. Plants around a house also can keep heating bills lower as
they lessen wind flow, that would suck heat away. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

chatnoir 18-09-2007 02:51 AM

Irrigation vs rainfall

wrote:

If it isn't, it should be. Some of us just can't justify wasting aquifers
for the sake of ornamental plants.

Apparently you haven't priced how much a mature tree costs now days. :-)
Not all off us are sucking our water out of aquifers either. I personally
live were 3 rivers meet. Not sure about the OP, perhaps that is their
reason.

Farmers in Colorado use to drill wells near rivers! In fact. the
water they drew out caused the river water to flow into the pumping
area! Was ruled as illegal taking of water!

Bill Stock 18-09-2007 03:44 AM

fall~is~here!

"Kurt" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bill Stock" wrote:

"MLF" wrote in message
Gareee:

Where are you at, Nome? Trees turning already?
We just had a cool front move in. The high temps are expected to come
down
to the high 80s°F (low 30s°C) with low 70s°F at night. No trees turning
here.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA

Only 55° here today, 45° now. Winter is on the way.

Stanley, Idaho?

Nice looking place (Google Earth), but I'm in Southern Ontario.

It got down to 41° that night.

~ jan[_3_] 18-09-2007 08:59 AM

Irrigation vs rainfall

On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:51:16 CST, chatnoir
wrote:

If it isn't, it should be. Some of us just can't justify wasting aquifers
for the sake of ornamental plants.

Apparently you haven't priced how much a mature tree costs now days. :-)
Not all off us are sucking our water out of aquifers either. I personally
live were 3 rivers meet. Not sure about the OP, perhaps that is their
reason.

Farmers in Colorado use to drill wells near rivers! In fact. the
water they drew out caused the river water to flow into the pumping
area! Was ruled as illegal taking of water!

I'm not sure what doing an illegal activity has to do with people here
watering plants so they don't die??? I sure wasn't suggesting it.... nor
does my water come to me in this fashion. Every drop I used is metered.

The above reply/comment, in my mind, seems really remote to the current
conversation, totally confusing the issue. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

chatnoir 18-09-2007 06:22 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

To the contrary! You said:

"Apparently you haven't priced how much a mature tree costs now
days. :-)
Not all off us are sucking our water out of aquifers either. I
personally
live were 3 rivers meet. Not sure about the OP, perhaps that is their
reason."

It is not remote or confusing! You imply since you have 3 rivers near
you, you are not depleting the aquifer! In fact that was always the
attitude in Colorado! If they drill near the river, they get all the
water they want! In fact, they are draining the river illegally and
violating numerous river compacts! People living near rivers in
Colorado often drop pimps in the river and use it to irrigate even
though all the water in the river isallocated and they don't have any
nallovation! So, I think saying you kive near so and so rivers makes
it very relevant!

Derek Broughton 18-09-2007 06:22 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

wrote:

If it isn't, it should be. Some of us just can't justify wasting aquifers
for the sake of ornamental plants.

Apparently you haven't priced how much a mature tree costs now days. :-)

I have.

Not all off us are sucking our water out of aquifers either. I personally
live were 3 rivers meet. Not sure about the OP, perhaps that is their
reason.

You don't think it's all related?

Plus, I'm reducing my carbon foot print by keeping my AC bill lower due to
reducing the temperature around my house, not to mention adding O2 via all
the greenery. Plants around a house also can keep heating bills lower as
they lessen wind flow, that would suck heat away. ~ jan

Greenery, is one thing - and well arguable - but that doesn't mean pouring
water onto ornamentals that can't stand your native (or anywhere near
native) environment. imo, water bills almost everywhere are too low. They
encourage people to waste water. The cost of water rarely, in North
America at least, approaches the actual value of the water.
--
derek

Derek Broughton 18-09-2007 06:22 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

wrote:

If it isn't, it should be. Some of us just can't justify wasting
aquifers for the sake of ornamental plants.

Apparently you haven't priced how much a mature tree costs now days. :-)
Not all off us are sucking our water out of aquifers either. I
personally live were 3 rivers meet. Not sure about the OP, perhaps that
is their reason.

Farmers in Colorado use to drill wells near rivers! In fact. the
water they drew out caused the river water to flow into the pumping
area! Was ruled as illegal taking of water!

I'm not sure what doing an illegal activity has to do with people here
watering plants so they don't die??? I sure wasn't suggesting it.... nor
does my water come to me in this fashion. Every drop I used is metered.

The above reply/comment, in my mind, seems really remote to the current
conversation, totally confusing the issue. ~ jan

You raised the issue, and it's completely relevant. Just because your
metered water comes out of a river (if it does...) it doesn't mean there's
no effect on the aquifer.
--
derek

Derek Broughton 18-09-2007 06:23 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

k wrote:

Some of us just can't justify wasting aquifers

for the sake of ornamental plants.

You are talking about in a drought stricken area?
Not general irrigation uses.

k :-)

No, general irrigation. We don't have water quantity or quality problems,
but we've never grown plants that needed watering (at least once
established). Except, of course, for the ponds... We all make concessions
to our principles :-)
--
derek

k 18-09-2007 07:39 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

No, general irrigation.

Hmmmm. Random thoughts.
There are sooo many issues involved with
irrigation in our area. Goes way beyond keeping a few
plants alive. Our area of 100,000 people is in an area
of 7.5 inches of rainfall a year. We need irrigation.
People are making changes in landscaping, with the
current low water landscaping trend, but there
are some things that we need. Imagine 650 elementary
kids turned out for recess on dry, sandy sagebrush.
I don't think my asthmatic children would have survived.
And we are also an agricultural area that uses irrigation.
There's another whole topic ~ food grown but only with
the help of irrigation.
Back to homeowner irrigation. We do have three rivers
here and our water comes from those rivers. But we also
have a huge supply of 'escaped water' below us and it has
been in the courts and halls of the lawmakers for years
trying to figure out who 'owns' that water. So we have tons
of water around here, just not much that falls from the sky.
The West in the USA is all about water rights. We won't
even talk about energy useage and the proposal to tear
down the dams.
It is a topic that goes on and on and on and on....

k :-)

chatnoir 18-09-2007 09:14 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

On Sep 18, 12:39 pm, k wrote:
[...]

Unfortunately most rivers are allocated way above 100 % of Average
Flow!

MLF 18-09-2007 11:15 PM

Irrigation vs rainfall

"k" wrote
The West in the USA is all about water rights. We won't
even talk about energy useage and the proposal to tear
down the dams.
It is a topic that goes on and on and on and on....

Yes, you are correct. However, everyone should keep in mind that the amount
of water now extracted from the western slopes of the Rocky Mountains is
equal to the amount in the rivers. The Colorado River, for instance, used to
flow to the north end of the Bay of California in Mexico. It no longer does,
but rather just dries up in the desert far from its former mouth. In essense
we are taking all of the water out of the river and have turned it into a
long skinny lake. Most of that water goes to California to maintain
otherwise unliveable cities like Los Angeles and Palm Springs and Las Vegas
that are built in desert climates.

I guess my point is that the issue of water is very important. And whether
you get it from a river, ground water, or an aquifer, make sure you use it
wisely.

Michael
New Orleans, Louisiana USA