Old 19-12-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Sealing pond liner

What are the easiest and most leak-proof ways to seal EDPM pond liner
for plumbing pipes?

I hear you can get quite large EDPM sheets from roofing contractors.
What do they call it? and is it cheaper than from a pond supplier?

Chip

Old 20-12-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Hi Chip,

EDPM for roof and pons is exactly the same. Roofing is far cheaper.
Most of us have roofing EDPM and have had no side effects.

People do the plumbing in different ways. I have tended to use toilet
fittings with reducers to 2", bolted together, and sealed them with
roofing sealant. Works fine for me.

Lots of others use fittings designed for EDPM. They can speak to them
better than I.

Good luck!

Jim

Old 20-12-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 17:33:39 CST, Chip wrote:

What are the easiest and most leak-proof ways to seal EDPM pond liner
for plumbing pipes?

You can actually seal a pipe EPDM junction by cutting the hole 1"
smaller than the pipe, so it makes a lip on the pond side. Some use a
clamp on the lip, others don't bother, so long as the lip is on the
water pressure side of the seal.
HARVYTHEKOI Has improved his with a collar:
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51520

I hear you can get quite large EDPM sheets from roofing contractors.
What do they call it? and is it cheaper than from a pond supplier?

They called it roofing liner. (Some called it rubber roofing liner,
but it is my understanding, butyl rubber hasn't been available for a
long time.) I believe it came from the factory in 100 ft rolls and
the only width I bought was 25'. There may have been other widths
available then, but the last check revealed none of the local building
supply houses here carry EPDM liner. The advantage of buying locally
was the shipping cost.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Old 21-12-2007, 02:29 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:22:02 CST, Hal wrote:

You can actually seal a pipe EPDM junction by cutting the hole 1"
smaller than the pipe, so it makes a lip on the pond side. Some use a
clamp on the lip, others don't bother, so long as the lip is on the
water pressure side of the seal.
HARVYTHEKOI Has improved his with a collar:
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51520

I'm so glad to see pictures on the web. Greg Bickal use to have a great
site with all these DIY cheap pond fixes, and then he put them on a CD for
$10. Worth the money.... but when you're looking cheap, and need it now,
nice to see it on the web again. Different author same info. :-) ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 22-12-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Fine article with a clean, simple approach.

Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Sealing two types of pond liner Amanda United Kingdom 7 09-04-2014 09:10 PM
Pond Liner Material Identification - What Pond Liner to Choose FLP Ponds (alternative) 0 10-02-2010 09:35 AM
Pond Liner vs. Roof Liner BenignVanilla Ponds 8 15-11-2006 06:09 PM
Sealing a pond PM United Kingdom 3 20-10-2003 02:22 PM
Coconut Liner and/or rubber liner for window box planters Kelly Gardening 2 13-05-2003 11:08 PM