Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-01-2008, 09:32 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Stocking the new pond

Well I know it's a bit early and I don't intend stocking the pond until
at least April/May but I like to get a clear idea in advance as to the
best way to progress.....

The pond is approx 600 IMP gall....deepest point is around 3ft 6"......I
don't intend stocking with Koi as I think it is a bit too small for that
so I'm thinking Shubunkin - very pretty fish available locally and I
would be more than happy with them.....

I added some plants back in September when the pond was filled and they
are doing quite well - my guess is that in the spring they will really
come into their own.....don't think I have enough though so once the
plants start coming into the LFS I'll be buying some more. The filter is
still running - we've had a very mild winter so far and the pond hasn't
frozen although still water elsewhere in the garden has....

It is my intention to add more plants first to provide cover - the
almost inevitble heron has been spotted although as I have no fish (only
frogs) has not paid me a visit yet. Netting the pond would be a very
complicated option so I'm looking at providing the cover with plants.....

So my questions a-

How long after adding the cover plants should I wait before adding fish?

Anyone have any recommendations for good plants that might protect my
fish from the local heron?

When it comes to buying the fish should I go for a mix of sizes or just
buy the smaller ones that will grow eventually (and a bit cheaper if
they become heron bait)?

How many Shubunkin can I put in a pond this size?

TIA
Gill

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Does size matter...when stocking Koi in your pond... :) BenignVanilla Ponds 75 02-04-2007 09:07 PM
Stocking A Private Pond Ron Ponds 6 09-11-2005 08:24 AM
Stocking Pond Help rob smith Ponds 3 21-08-2005 09:17 PM
Does size matter...when stocking Koi in your pond... :) Chad Ponds 3 23-07-2003 01:42 AM
proper stocking of algae eaters Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 13 08-04-2003 07:08 AM