GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/171928-what-you-feeding-where-you-buying.html)

JB[_1_] 16-03-2008 07:12 PM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

~jan, Are you still recommending Western Outdoor Aquatics & Sho- Koi?

TIA

Reel McKoi[_14_] 17-03-2008 02:30 PM

"JB" wrote in message
~jan, Are you still recommending Western Outdoor Aquatics & Sho- Koi?

TIA

==========================
We use Pond fish food (trout and or catfish pellets) from Tractor Supply
Company with great success. About $13 now for 50 lbs.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

~ jan[_3_] 18-03-2008 03:09 AM

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:12:46 CST, "JB" wrote:

~jan, Are you still recommending Western Outdoor Aquatics & Sho- Koi?

TIA

I still use and would recommend Sho-Koi. I use: http://www.westernpond.com/
Free shipping over $60. I order a 10# bag of small nugget sho-koi & a
bottle or 2 of sho-gold and easily go over $60. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

~ jan[_3_] 18-03-2008 11:58 AM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

We use Pond fish food (trout and or catfish pellets) from Tractor Supply
Company with great success. About $13 now for 50 lbs.

http://www.akca.org/kht/nutrit.pdf
http://www.texaskoi.com/Articles/koi_nutrition.htm

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Reel Mckoi 18-03-2008 08:54 PM

"~ jan" wrote in message
We use Pond fish food (trout and or catfish pellets) from Tractor Supply
Company with great success. About $13 now for 50 lbs.

http://www.akca.org/kht/nutrit.pdf
http://www.texaskoi.com/Articles/koi_nutrition.htm

=================================
Thanks. I've seen all that before. I'll stick to what works great for my
fish. None are fat. None are sickly. All koi over a few years of age breed
constantly over the summer months. Fry grow nicely on this feed, etc. I have
no need to pay $8 to $10 a lb for fish food.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

JB[_1_] 19-03-2008 01:24 AM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

We had a lot of discussion on this last year, didn't we! ;-) I've read it
all but I'm still going with the higher quality/priced food for now.

Phyllis and Jim 19-03-2008 01:35 AM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

We have had the discussion a number of times over the years. I guess
we face it annually and when new people come to the group.

Jim

Reel Mckoi 19-03-2008 04:42 AM

"JB" wrote in message
We had a lot of discussion on this last year, didn't we! ;-) I've read it
all but I'm still going with the higher quality/priced food for now.

=========================
In all things, I learned, as do many others, that higher price is not
necessarily a better quality or better product. :-) I had a very
disappointing experience with the expensive foods that cost me a nice piece
of change last year. It left me stuck with several hundred undersize koi
and shubunkin fry I had to keep over. Now with the market here flooded I
doubt I'll sell them easily. And yes, they were put back on Pond Fish food
and their growth took off,... but too late.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Reel Mckoi 19-03-2008 04:42 AM

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
We have had the discussion a number of times over the years. I guess
we face it annually and when new people come to the group.

==================
It wouldn't hurt to discuss it every year. There are always new people and
non-posting lurkers.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

~ jan[_3_] 19-03-2008 11:40 AM

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:24:00 EDT, "JB" wrote:

We had a lot of discussion on this last year, didn't we! ;-) I've read it
all but I'm still going with the higher quality/priced food for now.

Koi vets, breeders, and those who have grand champions recommend a feed for
koi (versus short-lived fatten-em-fast game fish foods).

There are high priced foods out there, that can be junk. I know Tetra use
to have a koi pond food that was mostly corn and really high priced. So
check ingredients and especially look for either a manufacturing date or
expiration date. When ordering, if they have a comments section, ask for
freshness. :-) Pick your main food, but still add variety of fresh foods
from the kitchen, and other koi foods/treats. I use Manda Fu as a treat.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

[email protected] 20-03-2008 10:14 PM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

I feed my koi freeze dried krill.
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/sea...02f1dms6ujg3a0

JB[_1_] 21-03-2008 02:52 AM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

You're kidding, right? At those prices I'd go broke. I'll feed 20 pounds of
Sho Koi this summer.
--

. com...

~ jan[_3_] 21-03-2008 02:59 AM

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:14:13 EDT, wrote:

I feed my koi freeze dried krill.
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/sea...02f1dms6ujg3a0

As the main feed, or a side dish? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

~ jan[_3_] 21-03-2008 11:06 PM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:17:11 EDT, wrote:

only.

I wouldn't think one food source would have all the needed nutriments
needed. Please indulge with more info. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

[email protected] 22-03-2008 10:54 PM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

krill are the itty bitty critters normally eaten by fish like koi. the krill eat all
the other plankton. of course my fish get to nibble on anything else in the pond
they want. krill are high protein, high fat. that is really all koi need.

I have been thinking about hanging a zapper over the pond to provide fresh roasted
insects for them more for the fun factor. Ingrid

~ jan[_3_] 23-03-2008 08:21 PM

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:54:35 EDT, wrote:

krill are the itty bitty critters normally eaten by fish like koi. the krill eat all
the other plankton. of course my fish get to nibble on anything else in the pond
they want. krill are high protein, high fat. that is really all koi need.

I have been thinking about hanging a zapper over the pond to provide fresh roasted
insects for them more for the fun factor. Ingrid

I'm sure fried/BBQ bugs are carcinogenic. :-D ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

[email protected] 24-03-2008 02:54 PM

What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

yeah.. not raw, not natural. actually, aquatic ecosystems has something with a
rotating string just knocks bugs senseless and drops them. so maybe that would
work.. as long as the bugs pass thru the netting!

Hal[_1_] 25-03-2008 02:38 PM

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:54:45 EDT, wrote:

yeah.. not raw, not natural. actually, aquatic ecosystems has something with a
rotating string just knocks bugs senseless and drops them. so maybe that would
work.. as long as the bugs pass thru the netting!

Sounds interesting! Could you give me a hint as to how to find it?
I tried several searches using bug, insect, zapper, rotating string,
but wasn't lucky.

Some of my fish don't seem to be recovering from the shock of a heron
attack last winter. I would like to encourage more top swimming and
would think a treat randomly dropped on the top of the pond might be
helpful.
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb

Reel Mckoi 25-03-2008 10:10 PM

"JB" wrote in message
You're kidding, right? At those prices I'd go broke. I'll feed 20 pounds
of Sho Koi this summer.
--

And with hundreds of koi young plus about 25 adults, I easily go through
50lbs a season.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.