Old 16-03-2008, 07:12 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default What are You Feeding? Where are you Buying?

~jan, Are you still recommending Western Outdoor Aquatics & Sho- Koi?

TIA

Old 17-03-2008, 02:30 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
~jan, Are you still recommending Western Outdoor Aquatics & Sho- Koi?

TIA

==========================
We use Pond fish food (trout and or catfish pellets) from Tractor Supply
Company with great success. About $13 now for 50 lbs.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 18-03-2008, 03:09 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:12:46 CST, "JB" wrote:

~jan, Are you still recommending Western Outdoor Aquatics & Sho- Koi?

TIA

I still use and would recommend Sho-Koi. I use: http://www.westernpond.com/
Free shipping over $60. I order a 10# bag of small nugget sho-koi & a
bottle or 2 of sho-gold and easily go over $60. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-03-2008, 11:58 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We use Pond fish food (trout and or catfish pellets) from Tractor Supply
Company with great success. About $13 now for 50 lbs.

http://www.akca.org/kht/nutrit.pdf
http://www.texaskoi.com/Articles/koi_nutrition.htm

------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 18-03-2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"~ jan" wrote in message
We use Pond fish food (trout and or catfish pellets) from Tractor Supply
Company with great success. About $13 now for 50 lbs.

http://www.akca.org/kht/nutrit.pdf
http://www.texaskoi.com/Articles/koi_nutrition.htm

=================================
Thanks. I've seen all that before. I'll stick to what works great for my
fish. None are fat. None are sickly. All koi over a few years of age breed
constantly over the summer months. Fry grow nicely on this feed, etc. I have
no need to pay $8 to $10 a lb for fish food.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-03-2008, 01:35 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

We have had the discussion a number of times over the years. I guess
we face it annually and when new people come to the group.

Jim

Old 19-03-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"JB" wrote in message
We had a lot of discussion on this last year, didn't we! ;-) I've read it
all but I'm still going with the higher quality/priced food for now.

=========================
In all things, I learned, as do many others, that higher price is not
necessarily a better quality or better product. :-) I had a very
disappointing experience with the expensive foods that cost me a nice piece
of change last year. It left me stuck with several hundred undersize koi
and shubunkin fry I had to keep over. Now with the market here flooded I
doubt I'll sell them easily. And yes, they were put back on Pond Fish food
and their growth took off,... but too late.

--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-03-2008, 04:42 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"Phyllis and Jim" wrote in message
We have had the discussion a number of times over the years. I guess
we face it annually and when new people come to the group.

==================
It wouldn't hurt to discuss it every year. There are always new people and
non-posting lurkers.
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 19-03-2008, 11:40 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 21:24:00 EDT, "JB" wrote:

We had a lot of discussion on this last year, didn't we! ;-) I've read it
all but I'm still going with the higher quality/priced food for now.

Koi vets, breeders, and those who have grand champions recommend a feed for
koi (versus short-lived fatten-em-fast game fish foods).

There are high priced foods out there, that can be junk. I know Tetra use
to have a koi pond food that was mostly corn and really high priced. So
check ingredients and especially look for either a manufacturing date or
expiration date. When ordering, if they have a comments section, ask for
freshness. :-) Pick your main food, but still add variety of fresh foods
from the kitchen, and other koi foods/treats. I use Manda Fu as a treat.
~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 20-03-2008, 10:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I feed my koi freeze dried krill.
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/sea...02f1dms6ujg3a0

Old 21-03-2008, 02:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

You're kidding, right? At those prices I'd go broke. I'll feed 20 pounds of
Sho Koi this summer.
--

. com...

Old 21-03-2008, 02:59 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 18:14:13 EDT, wrote:

I feed my koi freeze dried krill.
http://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/sea...02f1dms6ujg3a0

As the main feed, or a side dish? ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State