Old 03-04-2008, 01:14 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Looking for Pond Health Tips

PP will probably get harder to find in future - it is a strong oxidiser
therefore people with dangerous ideas find many uses for it.......

http://sciencehack.com/videos/view/YqTIXcyz8Ks

"~ jan" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:20:21 EDT, wrote:

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:59:19 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
There is a med that will kill flukes in the pond, unfortunately in a pond
of your size it would cost $200+.

... PP works fine, doesnt really kill the fish and works in cold temps.

True, but in unskilled hands, I don't recommended it, and it can be hard
find in some places. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 03-04-2008, 03:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

well... that shoulda read "doesnt kill the filter" but.... as long as a person makes
a stock solution it is very hard indeed to get it wrong. If you do a Koivorkian and
toss the crystals into the water, then I agree it is dangerous to fish. This is why
Jo Ann recommends making the stock solution in the first place. Ingrid

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 18:45:29 EDT, ~ jan wrote:

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:20:21 EDT, wrote:

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:59:19 EDT, ~ jan wrote:
There is a med that will kill flukes in the pond, unfortunately in a pond
of your size it would cost $200+.

... PP works fine, doesnt really kill the fish and works in cold temps.

True, but in unskilled hands, I don't recommended it, and it can be hard to
find in some places. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:
www.jjspond.us

Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Thanks for the advice, Jan and all. I'll add the salt tomorrow. Once
the microscope gets here, I'll post my findings with that and go from
there.

Is it enough to catch a random fish and do slide scrapings from that
or do I need to check multiple fish and also look for critters in the
water?

Thanks,

Dave

Old 05-04-2008, 04:56 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 08:14:28 EDT, "Richardb" wrote:

PP will probably get harder to find in future - it is a strong oxidiser
therefore people with dangerous ideas find many uses for it.......

http://sciencehack.com/videos/view/YqTIXcyz8Ks

Cool. I'll have to put that on my next Ponding Tidbits. Tx, ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-04-2008, 04:57 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 21:27:53 EDT, Pond Addict
wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Jan and all. I'll add the salt tomorrow. Once
the microscope gets here, I'll post my findings with that and go from
there.

Is it enough to catch a random fish and do slide scrapings from that
or do I need to check multiple fish and also look for critters in the
water?

Sick ones are best, if flukes your best bet is to take a small gill snip.
For skin scrapings, go under the chin & behind the gill plate.

If you can't get to a sick one, I'd do more than one random fish.... but
you may have flukes that are only in the gills of the sick fish. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

that property of PP has always been known. anybody buying "quantities" are reported
to police. 4 oz of PP will last a long time as a stock solution. and once it is
added to water it is completely safe. I used to be used to treat athletes foot when
other remedies didnt work. the powder must be handled carefully, not because it will
"explode", but because one must not inhale the powder. so dont prepare this as a
stock solution in front of fans or while standing down wind with a stiff wind
outside, and most certainly DONT "broadcast" the dry powder over a pond. Ingrid

Old 05-04-2008, 01:49 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

the angle for doing a scrape is demoed here.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/scrape-fakefish.mpg
Ingrid

Old 05-04-2008, 09:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 08:49:33 EDT, wrote:

the angle for doing a scrape is demoed here.
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/scrape-fakefish.mpg
Ingrid

Good video clip, is that JoAnn? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 06-04-2008, 04:10 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

oh yeah. and do save the clip and use it. Ingrid

Old 06-04-2008, 06:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Apr 6, 11:10 am, wrote:
oh yeah. and do save the clip and use it. Ingrid

Thanks for posting that, Ingrid. I'll definitely use it when my
microscope gets here.

I'm glad my fish aren't *that* big yet! I'd have a heck of a time
netting them.

Dave

Rate This Thread: