Old 01-07-2008, 05:53 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default algae bloom threatens Olympics

And we thought we battled algae --
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/30/asia/china.php

k :-)

Old 01-07-2008, 02:08 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

I would be really discouraged by that much of a bloom!..I am thinking
about how our blooms grow in response to nutrients. Will pulling it
off the sea make it go away? Seems to me the answer is negative.

New algae will form as long as there are nutrients.

They can hope to pull it off faster than it can form. That is a move
ponders know.

Will blocking an area keep algae out of it? Drifting clumps, yes.
Growing clumps, no.

The Chinese bloom seem thick, so pulling them off will help. It will
be interesting seeing how the race works out. The present thick algae
is clearly too thick for the boats. Maybe they can pull it and keep
pulling enough to have the events.

Jim

Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Tue, 1 Jul 2008 09:08:53 EDT, Phyllis and Jim
wrote:

I would be really discouraged by that much of a bloom!..I am thinking
about how our blooms grow in response to nutrients. Will pulling it
off the sea make it go away? Seems to me the answer is negative.
Jim

I so agreed. Apparently the Chinese don't pond.... though I thought the
hobby came from that side of the world?

What threw me in the article was they're forcing people to clean it up (I
assume that means non-paid) some have volunteered.... yea... ??? So did
they volunteer or were they threaten into volunteering? Regardless seems a
lot of bad things are happening to China lately. Unfortunately they aren't
placing the blame in the right place for this algae bloom according to the
article. As ponders we know, nutrients feed algae, not warm water. There
are lots of people who have cool ponds with lots of algae. And rainfall?
Only if it is causing runoff from polluted areas.

I will hope the reporter got it wrong and the Chinese aren't that stupid to
think the world will believe those explanations. And I will hope the
Chinese will learn that it is seriously time to clean up their act as they
become a developed nation.

And here I thought in a dictatorship they would have more power over the
people and pollution, apparently not. Why didn't they mandate from the
beginning to only allow hybrid cars once people started driving more?
Hmmmm...... ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 01-07-2008, 10:20 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Jul 1, 7:08 am, Phyllis and Jim wrote:
I would be really discouraged by that much of a bloom!..I am thinking
about how our blooms grow in response to nutrients. Will pulling it
off the sea make it go away? Seems to me the answer is negative.

New algae will form as long as there are nutrients.

They can hope to pull it off faster than it can form. That is a move
ponders know.

Will blocking an area keep algae out of it? Drifting clumps, yes.
Growing clumps, no.

The Chinese bloom seem thick, so pulling them off will help. It will
be interesting seeing how the race works out. The present thick algae
is clearly too thick for the boats. Maybe they can pull it and keep
pulling enough to have the events.

Jim

Seems to me, they will lose. Even if they use some sort of algaecide,
the downside of doing that seems worse than the algae bloom. I have a
nice bloom going in my 'new' pond and I know it will soon be gone if I
just leave it alone. But if they are dumping sewage (nutrients for
algae) from tens of thousands of residents, into the water, it's a
losing battle for them.
W. Dale

Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

"kathy" wrote in message
And we thought we battled algae --
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/30/asia/china.php

k :-)

=======================
I wish I had some of that stuff for my compost pile. :-) Think of the
veggies it would grow.....
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 03:47:56 EDT, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

I wish I had some of that stuff for my compost pile. :-) Think of the
veggies it would grow.....

Not from China, think of all the toxins it probably contains. If it wasn't
for the Olympics the world should rejoice that the algae is cleaning up
their toxic waste. ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

~ jan wrote:

I wish I had some of that stuff for my compost pile. :-) Think of the
veggies it would grow.....

Not from China, think of all the toxins it probably contains. If it wasn't
for the Olympics the world should rejoice that the algae is cleaning up
their toxic waste. ~ jan

It did say that most of it was going to the farms for bio-feed. Chinese
hamburger, anyone?

Chip

Old 03-07-2008, 11:57 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

wrote:

I wish I had some of that stuff for my compost pile. :-) Think of the
veggies it would grow.....

Not from China, think of all the toxins it probably contains. If it wasn't
for the Olympics the world should rejoice that the algae is cleaning up
their toxic waste. ~ jan

You have a very good point there Jan. On second thought, I'll keep making my
--

RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Rate This Thread: