GardenBanter.co.uk

-   Ponds (moderated) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/)
-   -   Mink Frogs? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds-moderated/183668-mink-frogs.html)

Jim Elbrecht 16-05-2009 12:30 AM

Mink Frogs?

One has been hanging out for a month now- and today we have 2.

One is brownish- the other green. I'm in NY,near Schenectady.
They are about 2 1/2 inches long.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/brown.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/green.jpg

I thought I identified the first one by its call a couple weeks ago.
But he hasn't made a sound since. now that there are 2 & they are
colored so differently, I wonder.

Thanks,
Jim

kathy[_3_] 18-05-2009 03:41 AM

Mink Frogs?

Our Pacific Chorus Frog comes in different colors, grey to green to
light brown.
Probably just the nature of the beastie.

k :-)

Jim Elbrecht 18-05-2009 03:13 PM

Mink Frogs?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/brown.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/green.jpg

I thought I identified the first one by its call a couple weeks ago.
But he hasn't made a sound since. now that there are 2 & they are
colored so differently, I wonder.

After some more poking about the net I'm 99% sure they are Green
Frogs. Colors vary in both species, but the Green Frog has banding
on the rear legs, and dorsolateral ridges. [the long warty-looking
thing where his shoulder-blades would be]

Also I picked them both up and smelled them & Mink frogs are supposed
to give off an oniony odor.

Thanks,
Jim