Old 16-05-2009, 12:30 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Mink Frogs?

One has been hanging out for a month now- and today we have 2.

One is brownish- the other green. I'm in NY,near Schenectady.
They are about 2 1/2 inches long.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/brown.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/green.jpg

I thought I identified the first one by its call a couple weeks ago.
But he hasn't made a sound since. now that there are 2 & they are
colored so differently, I wonder.

Thanks,
Jim

Old 18-05-2009, 03:41 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Our Pacific Chorus Frog comes in different colors, grey to green to
light brown.
Probably just the nature of the beastie.

k :-)

Old 18-05-2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/brown.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Life/green.jpg

I thought I identified the first one by its call a couple weeks ago.
But he hasn't made a sound since. now that there are 2 & they are
colored so differently, I wonder.

After some more poking about the net I'm 99% sure they are Green
Frogs. Colors vary in both species, but the Green Frog has banding
on the rear legs, and dorsolateral ridges. [the long warty-looking
thing where his shoulder-blades would be]

Also I picked them both up and smelled them & Mink frogs are supposed
to give off an oniony odor.

Thanks,
Jim

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Mink Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 0 01-05-2008 05:34 PM
CONservation hooliganism is a failure. See what happens when youtry to play God. Rats! Cull of mink causes new scourge OM SHIVA!108 United Kingdom 0 07-03-2008 10:20 AM
Illegal Mink Hunt moves into Leconfield Estate Hunt Kennels Old Codger United Kingdom 0 08-02-2007 05:43 PM
mink? lee Ponds 9 29-12-2004 07:08 AM
FROGS - Bull Frogs, Leopard Frogs, Spring Peepers (Was BullFrogs) Heather Ponds 1 03-06-2003 06:20 PM