GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oregon Ponders - Frog Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/10066-oregon-ponders-frog-question.html)

Dave Thompson 11-03-2003 01:56 AM

Oregon Ponders - Frog Question

My little girl loves frogs in our pond but after we re-lined it the frogs
either left or became cat food. My question is: where can I get some
tadpoles for my pond? The only reason they were there in the first place is
because we had a neighbor who dumped 'em in one day and she has since moved.

Is there a source where I can buy them, a good place to scoop a few up, or
anyone who wants to donate a couple?

--
Rev. Dave Thompson, ULC

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one
individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take
command. Very often, that individual is crazy. -Author Unk

K30a 11-03-2003 03:09 AM

Oregon Ponders - Frog Question

In our state right next door (WA) I had an
occasion to talk to a bunch of Fish and Wildlife
folks from our state office.
I asked them about removing frogs, spawn, clams, mussels for transportation to
the family pond. They said they are not worried about a child, a jar
and a parent.
They do worry about people harvesting the critters to sell.
So find a nice friendly pond or small lake and watch for spawning activity.
(Watch out for bullfrogs, they are large and call 'run-run-run'. You don't want
them as they will chow down on your fish and song birds.)

Or
Some pond/water gardening shops might sell tadpoles, again make sure they
aren't bullfrogs, it is illegal to sell them in Oregon but you still need to be
careful.

k30a

Phyllis and Jim Hurley 11-03-2003 05:59 AM

Oregon Ponders - Frog Question

If there are toads on your neighborhood, 'Build it and they will come' is
likely to apply!

Check out Jog-A-Thon fundraiser (clears $140+ per child) at: jogathon.net