Old 29-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Some Filters for A.F.N. [Xnews & Pan]

CArol is getting kill filed across the board, since she refuse to use a
filter, it seems she will be filterd out. LOL.

poor newbies however. Inbreeding will kill the group no matter how well
a filter is put up.

solution: talk.free.newsservers moderated.

Mike Dee wrote:
Maxx Pollare wrote in
:

Reality folded in on itself, and somewhere the following words
from "Nobody" apeared in history:

A few questions if you don't mind, I'm new at regular expressions
and xnews scorefiles.

To the OP, if you started using Xnews, then you could use these
scorefiles. Gravity cannot make much sense of these. Using Xnews does
not mean you have to give up Gravity, nor will you lose any of
Gravity's settings etc.
Also, as in regards to remailers (and this score file), these filters
are specific to this NG only, they do not get used outside of AFN
(although they can be modified to do so).

%%%
[^alt\.free\.newsservers$]

Sco: -9999

This one I guess is aimed at filtering out anyone using a
remailer... I'll be leaving that one out.

Tough luck... Some of us perma-kill remailer/anon "sewer server"
posts because they are so badly abused by trolls these days.

Rather, this control is centered on anyone with those terms in their
MID, not specifically remailers. Although there is a good chance they
do trip remailers.

Newsgroups: alt\.[2achpr]

This one I haven't a clue about... what's it looking for?

Any news groups that have "alt." in thier name with the next
charictor in the set "2achpr"... Provided your server can deal
with XHDRs.

Subject: \bcarol\b|\bde\b|\bfred\b|rec\.|\brobb\b

kill troll subjects?

"Group Specific" trolling subject kills...

Personaly those "\b" tages are a waste of code, since...
A) you'll rarely get a mismatch on names.
B) all it takes to break them is one charictor.

This is not correct, Maxx. The \b tags do serve a specific purpose
here, because it deals with subject matter only, not names per se, if
the subject is about any of those people and not AFN subject matter,
then you don't get to see the posts. It also does not prevent posts
from those people, it only blocks posts *about* those people based on
Subject.

A better set would be:

Subject:
Carol|Cracklin|cross\W?post|Fred|Jabriol|Maxx|McKo i|off\W?topic|
Robb|\btroll|wolf

With regards to the names used in my "Subject" filter the extra names
you are proposing here are superfluous, they get stopped in Xref,
Newsgroups, and MID (no need to mention their names). Yes Maxx, I was
trying out a new newsclient the other day (XPN) and loaded up AFN
unfiltered, I noticed all the Maxx spork posts being made, amongst the
Jabber/Carol dross :-P - My current Xnews filters do not load any of
these rubbish posts.

kill crosposts to certain groups i think.. can't quite make out
which one's your're trying to eliminate though.

That would be Mike's an attempt at killing off the crossposts by
killing each new cross-posted group as they are use, and where my
own views on the matter differ from Mike's...

Not so, to an astute eye, one can see they are listed in alphabetical
order ;-)
Besides I have no intention of killing off all xposts, only ones that
have become a problem in AFN.

I prefer kill off all crosposts first, increase the # of
cross-post alowed untill only the trolled threads are
"killed-off", and then add any exceptions to the rule. Any
leftover garbage is then cleaned up with a subject filter, or a
dedicated "X-post-to" filter, or both.

In some cases, posts to *any* NG outside AFN is a problem. As I said, I
don't wish to stop all xposts. I will re-write my Xref filters later
on, however, in Xnews at least, they do a "chunky" job well enough. I
think I see a "better" way to do it, but I'm kind of lazy, too

Any exceptions are always easy to add higher up in the filter set.

See the weblink in my SIG for some more examples.

--
dee