Old 15-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Judy

Default Why?

This morning I found one of our Koi laying outside the pond. I found
him in time and he seems to be fine. We had a storm last nite, windy
and alot of rain. The last storm we had, several months ago I had the
same thing happen with another Koi. Again I was lucky and found him in
time. Both fish are so far fine. What makes Koi jump out of a pond
during stormy weather? I've had the ponds for four years now and never
had this problem. Anyone else experience this? FYI, nothing fell in
the ponds to scare them. Judy
Old 15-03-2003, 10:08 PM
~ jan

Most likely change in water quality. Check your pH & KH, if KH is low the
fish are suffering from rapid change in pH. If these are out of whack, and
you're not sure how to fix it, please ask here before doing anything. ;o)

Or could be lightning, but I think you'd know from the loud boom so close
to the house. ~ jan

On 15 Mar 2003 08:29:22 -0800, (Judy) wrote:

This morning I found one of our Koi laying outside the pond. I found
him in time and he seems to be fine. We had a storm last nite, windy
and alot of rain. The last storm we had, several months ago I had the
same thing happen with another Koi. Again I was lucky and found him in
time. Both fish are so far fine. What makes Koi jump out of a pond
during stormy weather? I've had the ponds for four years now and never
had this problem. Anyone else experience this? FYI, nothing fell in
the ponds to scare them. Judy

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 17-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Lee Brouillet

Jan is "right on" regarding the water chemistry: if your KH is below 150 or
so, you have very little buffering capabilities to counter a heavy rain,
especially if it hasn't rained in a while and the rain tends to be more acid
than normal. Baking soda is a very effective and cheap way to buffer your
pH. For whatever its worth, I keep my KH above 200 at all times (one
because my bead filter demands it for optimal working, but also because of
the squirrely rains we get here!)

Check it and let us know what it reads.

Lee

s.com...