Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16-03-2003, 12:32 AM
joe

Default Toooooo Coooool

One of the things I really love about my pond is watching birds take baths.
From the single humming bird hanging from the lip of the water fall, to
twenty american goldfinches all taking flailing about at the same time in a
the two square foot area that defines the top of my water fall.

I have lived in San Diego for about twenty years now, and can count the
number of robins I have seen during that time on one hand. This morning,
looking out my living room window, a huge flock of birds flew by and settled
in a large eucalyptus tree in the canyon just beyond my yard. I got my
binoculars out and looked. They were robins! There must have been a couple
hundred of them. For the next hour we watched them taking baths in the
stream. It was just awesome.

We were so intent on watching the robins, it wasn't until the last one left
that we noticed a flock of cedar waxwings in a tree in our neighbors yard.
I've seen lots of those when I lived in Canada, but never a one here.

What an terrific day. Every once in a while, when I get so completely jaded
with the state of the world and people in general, something great happens
and the world just seems in sync again. And all because of a little pond.

Too cool.