Old 16-03-2003, 07:21 PM
Dr. Bill Duffy

Default Dead Koi

Woe is me. I was finally able to see my pond and 8 of my beautiful Koi
didn't make it thought the 2+ feet of snow covering the pond. I think the
snow didn't allow my heater to allow the gases to escape.
Oh well, I will start over. Some of the Koi that dies were over seven years
old.
Dies anyone have any other thoughts on what might have happened?
Bill

Old 16-03-2003, 08:08 PM
John Hines

"Dr. Bill Duffy" wrote:

Dies anyone have any other thoughts on what might have happened?

Any build up of nastiness at the bottom? Rake some of the muck up, and
will be clear to your nose if there is a problem.
Old 17-03-2003, 05:08 PM
~ jan

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 13:40:52 -0600, John Hines wrote:

"Dr. Bill Duffy" wrote:

Dies anyone have any other thoughts on what might have happened?

Any build up of nastiness at the bottom? Rake some of the muck up, and
will be clear to your nose if there is a problem. John Hines

Along of the lines of check the water parameters too.

Report what you find so we can all take care. Sorry about your loss. (
~ jan

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Old 21-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Dr. Bill Duffy

No there was a heater in there. I never had a problem before, but we never
had this much snow for so long before.
Bill

Old 21-03-2003, 03:32 PM

right. but aeration is the key to success. even if it froze over, covered with snow
the aeration will continue to inject air into the water and the gas will find a way
to escape. if choosing between aeration and heat, go for aeration every time.
Ingrid

Old 21-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Steve Watson

Listen to Ingrid :-). I used to have just a heater, then lost about
half the fish (including all the big ones, i.e. the ones we were fond
of) three years ago. Now we run a bubbler all winter as well. Now,
though we still lose a few of the smaller ones every winter, most of
them make it through (given the local weather forecast, we'll probably
find out this weekend how well we did this winter. Is there an
emoticon for crossed fingers?).

Old 21-03-2003, 09:32 PM
Tom La Bron

Bill,

Aeration is the way to go if you have deep ice. A lot of times heaters can
heat up and area, but sometimes ice will creep up under it and seal it off
and if the temps are really bad like they have been for many of us. If you
use an airstone though make sure it is suspended enough below the water line
of your pond to be beneath the lowest depth of the ice thickness. Never put
the airstone at the bottom of the pond.

I very seldom have to worry about ice for very long, but three winters ago
it got really cold here and I had about 5 inches of continuous ice on my
ponds. It was interesting to see the air bubbling up through channels in
the ice carrying water with it some times to burst to the surface every once
and a while, almost like an cold water geyser. I live in cattle country and
I have seen 1500 watt water tank heaters floating on the top of warmed water
pots formed by the ice surrounding and holding the warmed water. The
heaters are no guarantee that a hole through the ice will remain.

HTH

Tom L.L.
om...