Old 26-12-2005, 06:59 PM posted to rec.ponds
DNT

Default to filter or not?

My pond is 24" deep and holds about 250-300 gal. and has 6 goldfish in it. I
live in zone 5 and we get freezes but not usually sustained for too long. I
cleaned it and removed leaves, trimmed plants, etc. in Nov. I stopped
feeding the fish in mid-November. The pond surface has partially frozen two
or three times since Nov. During the day I see the fish swimming near the
surface.

My question is should I stop the filter for the winter or leave it running?
I've read several pond books and I'm still not sure if I should shut it down
and if so, why. Can anyone advise me? Many thanks,
Denise

Old 27-12-2005, 01:59 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

"DNT" wrote in message
news4Xrf.8476$7P2.8176@trnddc07...
My pond is 24" deep and holds about 250-300 gal. and has 6 goldfish in it.
I live in zone 5 and we get freezes but not usually sustained for too
long. I cleaned it and removed leaves, trimmed plants, etc. in Nov. I
stopped feeding the fish in mid-November. The pond surface has partially
frozen two or three times since Nov. During the day I see the fish
swimming near the surface.

My question is should I stop the filter for the winter or leave it
running?

Most people shut them off as any current makes the fish "move" and waste
energy to maintain their balance. It also can disrupt the stratifying of
the water (warm to the bottom, colder on top). Keep a hole open in the ice
for gas exchange.

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 27-12-2005, 09:55 PM posted to rec.ponds

you arent in zone 5 if it partially freezes. running a filter outside of the pond
can overcool the water. if the filter is inside the pond, go ahead. Ingrid

"DNT" wrote:

My pond is 24" deep and holds about 250-300 gal. and has 6 goldfish in it. I
live in zone 5 and we get freezes but not usually sustained for too long. I
cleaned it and removed leaves, trimmed plants, etc. in Nov. I stopped
feeding the fish in mid-November. The pond surface has partially frozen two
or three times since Nov. During the day I see the fish swimming near the
surface.

My question is should I stop the filter for the winter or leave it running?
I've read several pond books and I'm still not sure if I should shut it down
and if so, why. Can anyone advise me? Many thanks,
Denise

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up: http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/web/wa.cgi?REPORT&z=3
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE