GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Water Hyacinths (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/ponds/12250-re-water-hyacinths.html)

~ jan 30-03-2003 02:33 AM

Water Hyacinths

Hi Steve,

My guess, it is the state you live in.

California is really strict/careful in regards not only to plants coming
in, but fruits and exotic animals. Can you say San Francisco? (Sorry,
couldn't help it. ;o) I'd also like to mention when ordering out of
California to make sure they don't charge you an extra "shipping out of
state" fee. Last time I ordered from M&S Ponds there was an extra $5 tacked
on, needless to say, it was my last time. ~ jan

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:12:41 GMT, (Steve J. Noll)
wrote:

Here's something to consider when buying plants...
This problem may be rare - I sure hope it is.

I ordered my first water lilies (and some duckweed) last year from a
supplier in Colorado. I had just finished the pond and it was real
late in the season so I was anxious to get them. They didn't show up
when expected. Turns out they were caught up in Ag inspection.
They sat in a warehouse for over a week. One water lily died along
with all of the duckweed. It didn't do the remaining 6 lilies any
good for sure.

This was not the suppliers fault. They were nice about it.
For replacement I opted for them to make it up in water lily
fertilizer to avoid the Ag inspection risk again.

Anyway - just something to consider. If you have a choice between a
supplier in your own state and one out-of-state, if all else is equal
you might want to go with the one in-state. Maybe this was a freak
occurance or maybe it was due to increased inspections due to the West
Nile Virus?

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
| Glass Block Pond
http://www.kissingfrogs.tv

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/