Old 30-03-2003, 02:33 AM
~ jan

Default Water Hyacinths

Hi Steve,

My guess, it is the state you live in.

California is really strict/careful in regards not only to plants coming
in, but fruits and exotic animals. Can you say San Francisco? (Sorry,
couldn't help it. ;o) I'd also like to mention when ordering out of
California to make sure they don't charge you an extra "shipping out of
state" fee. Last time I ordered from M&S Ponds there was an extra $5 tacked
on, needless to say, it was my last time. ~ jan

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:12:41 GMT, (Steve J. Noll)
wrote:

Here's something to consider when buying plants...
This problem may be rare - I sure hope it is.

I ordered my first water lilies (and some duckweed) last year from a
supplier in Colorado. I had just finished the pond and it was real
late in the season so I was anxious to get them. They didn't show up
when expected. Turns out they were caught up in Ag inspection.
They sat in a warehouse for over a week. One water lily died along
with all of the duckweed. It didn't do the remaining 6 lilies any
good for sure.

This was not the suppliers fault. They were nice about it.
For replacement I opted for them to make it up in water lily
fertilizer to avoid the Ag inspection risk again.

Anyway - just something to consider. If you have a choice between a
supplier in your own state and one out-of-state, if all else is equal
you might want to go with the one in-state. Maybe this was a freak
occurance or maybe it was due to increased inspections due to the West
Nile Virus?

Steve J. Noll | Ventura California (zone 10)
| Glass Block Pond
http://www.kissingfrogs.tv

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website

Any Tricks For Wintering Water Hyacinths and Water Lettuce Inside? Mud Ponds 10 13-12-2005 04:33 PM
Water Hyacinths david williams Ponds 4 29-05-2004 05:05 AM
Water Hyacinths david williams Ponds 0 22-05-2004 03:08 PM
Keeping water hyacinths out of skimmers Remydog Ponds 8 13-05-2004 06:06 PM
Water Hyacinths ken Ponds (alternative) 15 02-09-2003 01:02 PM