Old 19-03-2006, 02:42 AM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen11962

Default Fish friendly dyes for ponds

I need a source for buying water dyes.

Stephen11962

Old 19-03-2006, 04:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
Charles

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 21:42:11 -0500, "Stephen11962"
wrote:

I need a source for buying water dyes.

Stephen11962

http://aquaticeco.master.com/texis/m...ch/mysite.html

I did a search on this site for dye, got several hits
Old 19-03-2006, 01:28 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

I dye my natural pond every year, with a product called Crystal
Blue....I think last year they relabeled it to another name, but its
the same thing. IMHO dye works very well in reducing light penetration
and algae growth, but the biggest side effect is it gives the fish a
weird color.....no it does not dye them, but ornage or yellow fish etc
look totally different when viewed in dyed water......

This year we are going with the Loc Ness Black dye to see how it
works...suposed to be better for concealing fish from
predators.......just gonna have to wait and see.

Aquatic Eco is perhaps the cheapest and best place to purchase the
various dyes....

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder ! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old 19-03-2006, 03:50 PM posted to rec.ponds
Stephen Henning

"Stephen11962" wrote:

I need a source for buying water dyes.

Google "pond dye" and you will find lots of sources. Longwood Gardens
uses black pond dye in their amazonia ponds. They use it for
appearance, to help control algae, and to assist with solar heating. I
think the product they use is:

http://www.marylandaquatic.com/retai...m?SKU2=4PONDDY
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
18,000 gallon (17'x 47'x 2-4') lily pond garden in Zone 6
Old 19-03-2006, 03:59 PM posted to rec.ponds

Hey guys, I'm working on a project to solve an phytoplankton problem in
a fairly sizable pond (10,000+ gallons). It has no fish, only birds in
it. The pond currently has 4 sandfilters on it and no UV sterlization
though that is an option. It has virtually no surface coverage and
there has been attempts to use plants before, but that has resulted in
them being torn to shreds by ducks. Water flow and overturn are good
as well and there is plenty of surface tension to keep the water
aerated. I came across this product that is an Aquarium
Pharmaceuticals pond dye that is supposed to dye the water blue-green
and suppress algal growth. I still have to find out if it is safe for
the animals obviously, but was just wandering if anyone had tried it
and whether or not it actually worked.

The other things that I may try to use are phosphate absorbers (though
I'm not sure if they work as well in freshwater as they do in salt,
I've really only used them in sal****er), barley extract (the barley
straw is just to messy), and though I know it's probably not feasible,
sometype of filtration that can skim the phytoplankton out like a
diatom filter. Does anyone even know if they make diatom filters for a
volume this large? I know it would have to be huge, use a vast amount
of diatomaceous earth, problem take forever to filter and get clogged,
extremely easy , but would clear the heck out of the water. I'm just
curious about that one and whether or not it would be possible to build
such a thing.

If ya'll know of any plants that ducks won't tear the crap out of I
would welcome those suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help

Ethan Barr

Old 19-03-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

wrote in message
oups.com...

If ya'll know of any plants that ducks won't tear the crap out of I
would welcome those suggestions as well.

======================
You can call your Agricultural Extension Agent and ask what they recommend
for your area. The occasional ducks that visited my ponds before I netted
the ponds didn't trash anything. Some of the sturdiest plants are the
cattails, water iris and pickerel plant. Ducks will go around them.
--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952

Old 20-03-2006, 03:13 PM posted to rec.ponds

wowow... never thought of that. to help heat the water for those of us in the frozen
tundra of zone 5. Ingrid

Stephen Henning wrote:
Google "pond dye" and you will find lots of sources.

...............assist with solar heating. I
think the product they use is:

http://www.marylandaquatic.com/retai...m?SKU2=4PONDDY

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Old 20-03-2006, 03:54 PM posted to rec.ponds
CanadianCowboy©

Stephen11962 wrote:
I need a source for buying water dyes.

Stephen11962

Someone on this NG recommended I use food dye and it works great.

I don't have a big pond so a small bottle of BLUE food dye does the
trick and it is probably 5 times cheaper than the "official" pond dye.
Old 21-03-2006, 03:27 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

wowow... never thought of that. to help heat the water for those of us in the frozen
tundra of zone 5. Ingrid

Stephen Henning wrote:
Google "pond dye" and you will find lots of sources. ..............assist with solar heating.

I would think with a black liner, one wouldn't need much dye. At least
around here (So Central WA) some people have black bottoms on their
swimming pools, just to warm them up early. Only problem, they can get too
warm when we hit a streak of 100 degree days. ~ jan

~ jan/WA
Zone 7a
Old 21-03-2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

As long as your keeping ducks your always gonna have a never ending
problem with various algae. I have a natural ponf of 1.65 million
gal, and the impact on that pond was noticeable from just 6
mallards...I fought algae bloom after algae bloom.........

One or two things that does help is to reduce the DOC, and burn up the
nutreints. Get some potassium permanganate and does the pond to
oxidize all the junk in it. I seem to belive that adding dye in the
hopes of eliminating an algae problem is wishfull thinking, as until
you get ahold of the soource of the high nutrients, its not gonna go
away. You have a concentrated nutrient source, and as other have noted
dyed water will become a bit warmer than undyed water will, it could
just lead to a bigger outbreak of more algae. I know, I know, been
there done that, folks are gonna sayaa get rid of the ducks if you
want clean water and for the most part it is true, there are ways
around it. Dosing a few times a year with potassium permanganate,
using Baraclear P80, which effectively locks up phosphates which is a
major contributor to algae blooms. You will finds trying to keep water
clean and clear with ducks or other fowl is going to be more costly
and labor intensive than doing the same fish........but it can be
done. The pond dyes are all safe for any aquatic inhabitants.

Old 23-03-2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.ponds

Thanks for the advice. Yes the ducks are not going anywhere. We like
em too much. But I'll take your advice on reducing the organics.
ethan

Old 26-03-2006, 09:25 PM
Registered User

Location: Harewood, Leeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen11962
I need a source for buying water dyes.

Stephen11962
Try www.dyofix.co.uk

Blue dye for the deeper ponds with fish and Black for the small ones without!

The Black one was featured on the BBC programme, A Year at Kew a year or so back

occasionally, Pilar never irrigates until Edward dyes the noisy raindrop stupidly I. Snerman United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 01:15 PM
the dust with the glad signal is the candle that dyes finally Linette United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 11:51 AM
OT-ish ~ friendly 'fish' Hank Ponds 1 31-08-2004 12:01 AM
OT-ish ~ friendly 'fish' Ka30P Ponds 0 29-08-2004 07:09 PM